First xmas lights this year - Going in hard...

elnino

Full time elf
Hi all, the addictive world of computer controlled xmas lights has taken hold of me.

Last year, I moved house and it seems that my new street has a thing for xmas lights so i thought i'd join in this year but of course, I can't do it half-assed - I have to show them up!

After coming across a random Youtube 'wins' vid and seeing a clip of 'What does the fox say' early this year I was on a mission.

I have an extensive background in computing, electronics and programming so I have spent the last few months developing my own arduino based sACN controller(s) to use with Vixen, I have been collecting lights for the display and making up some display items as well.

I would describe my display as a 'Frugal' one, not using anything 'off the shelf' for the display control and sourcing as much as i can from the likes of AliExpress etc.

The sACN controller is fully developed and working with 64 5Amp PWM outputs per controller (I've built 4!). The cost to build them is about $20 each so they are super cheap but take a lot of time to assemble.

I have also written a program in VB for displaying static images on computer screens that is controlled by sACN so I can control images with Vixen - This can be used for faces etc.

I still have a long way to go but I've managed to sequence up some lights and do some practical testing and I love it!

I hope I can give back to this little community as much as it has already helped me out.

Andrew

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Andrew

I think you'll find this is not a little community. ;)
Lots of folks like yourself have CLAP. :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem

Sounds like you are way ahead of many here when we started out, but, if you have any questions, tons of very friendly folks here will be glad to assist you with your new affliction. :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL. You have found the right place to share your passion as we all have the CLAP here (Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem)