flickering pixels

Baf05

Full time elf
SO I have put my lights outside, and on two of the strings I see flickering in the lights, now I am assuming this is due to the distance from the p12r to the first pixel, so I need to put in a null pixel... I think, I did a quick search of the wiki but there does not seem to be much info on them.

Am I on the right track?

Will letting the flicker damage them?

Habbosrus

Back again
It may be voltage drop too. How far from controller and power? Whereabouts along the string are you seeing flicker? I had the same problem and it was power causing my issue.

Baf05

Full time elf
Not voltage drop as I have injected power at one point and still have the issue. :)

ok so a quick test seems to show distance is my issue.

How do I go about setting a null pixel?

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
flickering is usually for one of two reasons, 1. voltage loss 2. data issue.

if you have injection there, then chances are you are gonna want to add a null pixel.

I add a null pixel every 4 - 6 meters using 2801 12v strip.

Baf05

Full time elf
That's my though Matt, but I am unsure how to do that? And what settings I should use, and indeed where I should be changing settings?

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
easiest way i found this year for nul pixels is to grab some single pixel (module, string or strip) add pigtails to it.

Then with the cable you have running from your controller to element, every 5 or so meters, cut it, add the corrosponding pigtails to it (in essence making 2 cables) then once the pigtails are in place, add the null pixel insert you made first in between the new plugs.

Inside your software for the board (assuming a j1sys board here) go to string config, here you can add a null pixel into the universe you are adding it to.,

its actually quite simple, my typing probably confuses things tho

Baf05

Full time elf
I think I get you, but, in adding the null pixel to the J1sys board, how does it know where to look for it? if you know what I mean?

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
ok, here is a real professional looking diagram to try explain things
null.jpg

Alright, so as you can see, just add a null pixel (basically a mini strip (1 pixel only tho)) in the cable run.
In the software, you add a null pixel to the corresponding universe. like this below.
null2.jpg

If the null pixel is between two elements, you would then split up the universe using the #01A, #01B etc.

When it is in the controller software, basically the controller automatically sends out the data, with the required information to resend through the null pixel(s) and start providing the effects at your first selected pixel instead.

Think of the null pixel as a radio repeater station. It hears the info, and retransmits the info, but doesnt have anyone inside to take and edit the info.

barbotte

Apprentice elf
Matt said:
ok, here is a real professional looking diagram to try explain things
null.jpg

Alright, so as you can see, just add a null pixel (basically a mini strip (1 pixel only tho)) in the cable run.
In the software, you add a null pixel to the corresponding universe. like this below.
null2.jpg

If the null pixel is between two elements, you would then split up the universe using the #01A, #01B etc.

When it is in the controller software, basically the controller automatically sends out the data, with the required information to resend through the null pixel(s) and start providing the effects at your first selected pixel instead.

Think of the null pixel as a radio repeater station. It hears the info, and retransmits the info, but doesnt have anyone inside to take and edit the info.
well Matt that is a very welll explaination i wish i saw that 3 week ago when i was researching about null pixel as i had no clue .... anyway for information purpose ,, i ran 1 string with a 24 ft away from the controler but that is way border line using 18 gages wire ,,,, rules of tom would be aprox 15 ft or so ( 5 meter ) also i have a run that is 32 ft away from controler so i had to put 2 null pixel ... an another not now i have 1 string that is flickering but only when it rain mmmm how to fix that ???
cheer

Baf05

Full time elf
Yes, Thanks to Matt I now have a null pixel in place and my flickering is all but gone, in the end it was quite simple.

Big thanks to Matt for taking the time to help me.

dannyp

Full time elf
I have flickering on my Technicolour pixels, but some of them are only 2 metres from the P12R and I have power injection on all the strings (injected at the end of the 100 string). In fact not only do I have flickering, but some of the strings don't light but when I run the test mode, the entire string will flash white. This leads me to think its something to do with data, but I don't know what it could be.

Any thoughts?

burner

Full time elf
I topok a shortcut this year and instead of buying more 14/20 cable, used the 7/20 cable I had spare for 10 runs (about 3-4m long). Biggest mistake and waste of time so far. I ended up remaking all the cables again with 14/20 wiring after I tried to inject more power and dead pixels.

Just on a huntch, are you using 7/20 wiring?

dannyp

Full time elf
No I am using 14/020 cable and 3.3mm heavy duty low voltage garden lighting for the power injection. I am thinking it could be the speed setting in the P12R but I have it at 3200 which I thought was pretty standard.

burner

Full time elf
Mine is sitting at 2400. If you are not getting the test pattern working at all (ie starts off a different colout for each channel), then something else could be wrong. Try disconnecting the ethernet cable too, just incase your computer is pushing data to it at the same time. Also when flicking the dipswitch (from memory number 4 to up) make sure you power off the controller (wait about 30 seconds for the power to drain) and then power it on.
Also, try with just 1 element plugged in and work upwards from there.

Robert

Apprentice elf
I just had the same flickering problem problem today. My issue was having the Cat5 cable coiled up on the ground. After uncoiling the cable, everything went back the way it should be:)