FM Tranmitter problems with RF interference affecting LED's

JeffA

New elf
Hello everyone, I have a CZE-05B FM transmitter causing my LEDs to have data signal issues such as flashing and color shifting. It is the transmitter because if I unplug it from power, the problems go away. The placement, no matter where affects the pixels, usually the string closest to the transmitter. I placed it inside the house and sat it behind a snowflake on the mid-window sash. It uses the original transmitter antenna. I have it in low-power mode also the volume/gain is at 25% ish. I've placed it outside on the front porch and have problems seemingly wherever I place it. I'm going to build a 1/2 wavelength dipole antenna and move it to a different part of my property, I hope this will work. Has anyone else worked through FM transmitter interference issues like this? I would like to hear your solutions. Thank you and I wish you all a merry Christmas!

merryoncherry

Senior elf
That's wild... never heard of anything like this. The main FM carrier is >100x off in frequency from 800kHz lights data and the FM runs at a smidgen of a W so it'd take a lucky shot to get more than a few millivolts vs the 5V data signal.

Have you tried a different channel? What controller and how are you getting data signal to the lights?

I use the same transmitter in low power mode right under the front porch on 97.3... it's about 3' from the closest lights and 5' from the closest controller with a rats nest of wires going to >20 xConnect strings and 2 receivers, no issues at all.

JeffA

New elf
Hello merryoncherry, I'm in the lower FM band 87.9mhz, I've tried going up to 92.1 but not any higher. I will try that. I have Kulp controllers K32, K16, K8's and two Falcon differentials. Voltage to the lights is 12vdc and all lights are xconnect 3 wire, nothing is farther than 9 meters from a controller. I can physically move the transmitter closer or away from the lights and/or unplug and the effect goes away. The sound in the cars is pretty good, no noise. The cables are custom-made, not bought.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Get data amps / F-Amps. The data signal from a K32/K16 won't go 9m reliably, FM transmitter nearby or not. (I haven't tried the K8. I think the Falcon differential does have a better driver.)

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
I really wonder if there is something wrong with your FM transmitter causing it to emit an additional signal. My FM transmitter i(running on 87.9) s located in a bench on my porch with my controller, a couple power supplies, and an RF transmitter. It is also within 2 feet of some of my lights, and I've never seen any issue. I'm running a Signstek 7C transmitter set to low power (so supposedly 1W).

Edit to add: That controller in the bench is a Kulp K16A-B.

JeffA

New elf
Thanks CargoLights, that crossed my mind to the possibility of having a bad FM transmitter. I've seen videos of people containing their transmitter in the same box as their controller, psu, etc.

JeffA

New elf
I do have some F-amps that I haven't tried yet. The runs or strings I'm having problems with are 5 feet from the controller. Turning off the controller fixes the problem which defeats the purpose. But I appreciate the suggestions.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I do have some F-amps that I haven't tried yet. The runs or strings I'm having problems with are 5 feet from the controller. Turning off the controller fixes the problem which defeats the purpose. But I appreciate the suggestions.
Do they happen to be on the same power circuit? Have you tried powering the transmitter from a different circuit and seeing if it still happens. Wondering if it is inducing something into the power which is causing issues?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
The transmitter i use, will cause issues, esp at the power its doing. (7w)
the other day, one dmx leads went near the antenna lead and made the moving heads go like mad.
if a pixel dataline is close buy, its history, no way it will work decently.

Well thats what happens here

JeffA

New elf
Do they happen to be on the same power circuit? Have you tried powering the transmitter from a different circuit and seeing if it still happens. Wondering if it is inducing something into the power which is causing issues?
They are not on the same circuit, I've tried different outlets inside and outside. I bought some 1.5' RG6 cables from the Jungle Store (Amazon) and some 9mm ferrite cores. I'll be trying to extend the stubbie antenna and put a ferrite core on the RG9 just to try something. I could have a bad transmitter or just bad luck. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:

JeffA

New elf
The transmitter i use, will cause issues, esp at the power its doing. (7w)
the other day, one dmx leads went near the antenna lead and made the moving heads go like mad.
if a pixel dataline is close buy, its history, no way it will work decently.

Well thats what happens here
I'm going to double-check the power level on mine when I get home. I'm sorry you're having these problems too, it's maddening!