FM transmitters

bb1

New elf
I have read the wiki in regards to the legality of broadcasting, and am having trouble trying to work out - do most people apply for a broadcast license (open narrowcasting services ), and if so where can I get the application forms, etc. Or does everyone just not worry. Just some guidance please.

Or do you go down the temporary community license approach.

Any guidance would be much appreciated

scamper

Dedicated elf
In my view, It is kind of like the old CB radio licence.
To operate a cb radio, you need a licence, but unless you did something stupid no one really cared.
If you are transmitting on FM at a higher power, just stay well clear of any local radio, don't transmit anything that offends, and don't upset anyone that would hold a grudge and want to shut you down.
This is my opinion only and I don't condone breaking the law etc etc etc. :)

livetoride

Full time elf
I see your in Victoria, I run along the lines of transmitting on a frequency no where near anything local, and limit the range to about 30meters either side of my house. I'm yet to have any trouble and don't believe I will.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Most don't apply because they follow some basic rules

1: Don't use a transmitter that transmits for miles around, there is no need for it and it and may cause you to gain attention. You only need to transmit to the people and cars looking at the display

2: Don't broadcast over other channels, go for a drive to make sure you have a clear channel because what may seem clear at your house may not be up the hill

3: use a quality transmitter that will not create any external interference or channel wash/cross over

4: Transmit only during the show hours - generally this is the time that they are not working, turn off the transmitter during other times

5: don't transmit advertisements or commercial based information or anything controversial or offensive

6: A well tuned transmitting antenna helps reduce any generated interference

Follow these rules and I doubt you will have any issues and if you did the worse that would happen is that you be asked to comply,