FPP- F16V3 Communications issues

Matt_87

New elf
Good morning all,

So this year I've decided to dip my toes into this new hobby. I am absolutely loving every minute of it.

I have decided this year to build a 8 FT mega tree to start off. I have all components built. I am running 1 string of 16x50 WS2811 pixels off one port with plenty of power injection (i wanted to be able to leave the other ports open for display expansion into the future).

The brings me to my issue. I have the ability to run test sequences through the controller interface. I can start sequences in FPP but it seems the two systems are not talking properly. I am of no misconception this is probably a minor error on my behalf but it is driving my insane.

I have started from scratch multiple times but have had no joy.

As its getting close and closer to setup im a little worried i won't have the display up this year. I really want to get it up and running so i don't let the kids down.

Any help is massively appreciated.

franky_888

Full time elf
So if I've interpreted your numbers correctly, in the xlights tree setup, you should have:

# Strings: 1 (one controller output)
Nodes/String: 800 (total number of nodes on the string)
Strands/String: 16 (number of strands (lines) on the tree)

Should look like this (assuming its a 360 degree tree)
upload_2019-10-20_9-45-14.png

If this is right and still not working then it's potentially a setup issue with FPP - run some tests from the FPP interface to confirm that it's also working as you should expect.

Don't start stressing yet! I only got my shipping details from Ray yesterday night so you're miles ahead of me :)

Matt_87

New elf
Thanks for he reply.

You're pretty much smack on. The only difference being it's a 270 tree.

I'll keep tinkering with it. No doubt it's an output issue to the controller but it's got me stumped.

franky_888

Full time elf
In the setup tab, right click on your f16 > visualise controller, confirm the output is what you think it should be (and should only be one output).

Have you re-uploaded your Setup to the controller after making changes?
Did you upload your sequence with FPP connect? (Tools > FPP Connect)

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
In FPP you should run the Main Pi as master or Standalone (If running from xLights any BBB/Pi should be in Bridge mode only if they have screens or pixels attached when driving from xLights or xSchedule, but there are differences here, let's ignore them as I don't think it affects you)

In the output of the master Pi you should have some info on your megatree, something smaller, but similar to mine below. This is uploaded using FPP connect and selecting the master pi, select the V2 FSEQ type, click media and models, but this is where a lot of people miss out - select the drop down menu for UDP out and select ALL only on your master pi - this uploads the info the master Pi needs to output to your lights

2019-10-20.png 2019-10-20 (1).png

Matt_87

New elf
ITS WORKING!

Thanks heaps for your help. I once again went back to square one and took my time. I have a feeling it was to do with the gateway that was set on the Controller. I changed that back to the FPP and bam we have lights.

Thanks for your help!!

Love this group