From Vixen to LSP

jaywalk101

New elf
Hey everyone!

I just went ahead and threw down and got the LSP Pro version... been having a tough time (learning curve) just thinking where to begin with LSP after using Vixen and Nutcracker..... Anyone out there tried incorporating Nutcracker sequences in LSP? Is it even possible? But besides that, just wanted some overall advice or some words of wisdom from the veteran users out there.. thanks in advance!

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
It's been a little while since I sat down with LSP - but I know what you mean by tough. The biggest hurdle (and I'm sure you've identified it already) is just throwing out the "grid system". What I found helped me was to think I was already programming by events/cues, Vixen just made that easy by drawing a neat grid for me to use. Just take the grid out of the equation - I can still create a ramp, chase, etc. when the music does this, now I can just put it exactly where I want it, end it where I want it and not wait to see where the grid matches up.

I think that's the way to describe it, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck!

kane

Dedicated elf
jaywalk101 said:
Anyone out there tried incorporating Nutcracker sequences in LSP? Is it even possible?
I think some people may have managed to export from Nutcracker to an LOR file, and then import this into LSP, but I can't see this being very useful, especially dealing with controller setup etc.

The ideal situation would be for David at LSP to release some documentation on his plugin architecture - once he does this, it would probably be relatively straightforward to import a nutcracker effect into an LSP sequence.

In the meantime, I've experimented with my own .net app that reads in an LSP .msq file, and applies a nutcracker sequence at a particular point in time.. This does work, but I doubt I'd ever get to the point that I could release it is a end-user product - the time involved is something I just don't have!

jaywalk101

New elf
Thanks for the replies guys.. I've been doing some more research and really like the video import feature. Saw a slideshow on someone using Vegas Pro with pretty good results. Think I may try going this direction with LSP, and use XLights to run sequences that I have designed already in Vixen. It seems like LSP's Show Scheduler isn't very good, and most folks are converting their files to LOR to play with Xlights?