G'day from a newbie

stubaz

New elf
Hi, I'm an old fart going to give this lighting stuff a try. I've been collecting LED strips since last Christmas, ever since my wife said "Why don't we dress the house up next Christmas. Now she's telling me to stop buying.

I've collected around 160 meters of RGB, plus single colour 5 x meter strips. I have a very low power FM transmitter and 27 channel LED Light Organ. Plus assorted fairy lights and curtains, around 100 amps DC P/supplies and fitting accessories. I'm afraid the MPX gear has been ruled out as too expensive owing to a very restrictive War Pension.

I'm hoping to get a few tips and ideas from the site and see how the pros do things. Oh yes, I'm also waiting on delivery of 20 meters of EL. Living in the bush, I'v e never seen this stuff being used so it's a new one for me.

My main concern at the moment is a very obnoxious Community radio station who will no doubt dob me in when it finds out I'm transmitting. Unfortunately my Ham licence won't help me there. :) I'm intending to use enough power to cover around 10 to 15 meters, I hope.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL. You just missed out by a few weeks on being able to sneak into Sydney and see the Sydney lighting mini expo. A fair portion of you questions would have been answered there. Having a read though the ACL 101 (link in my signature file) and popping into chat is a great way to get a heads up.

stubaz

New elf
Arr, the story of my life, I should have been born a week later. The times I hear, "You should have been here last week. Typical.

I'm not exactly mobile mate. Too many problems from Nam. If there's a 100 yard walk or a flight of stairs between me and where I'm headed, I'm stuffed.

Does the forum have a For Sale area.? I can't see any reference to one, but reckon there must be gear being moved around. Thanks for the welcome, I'm hoping to learn so it looks like it's the right place. Stu

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
There's a few things that get offered up for sale in the Members Trading Area which is way down the bottom of the main forum page. There's also links in the ACL 101 to a number of regular suppliers for lights and controllers.
If you can avoid it, stay away from 240V lights. The controllers are much more expensive than low voltage DC ones and the operating voltage is obviously much safer.

gerry

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL.

A couple of questions.

What controllers do you plan to use if u have looked into that so far and do u have an idea of software to control the lights ?
Have a look a the ACl bible if u have not as yet.
Also, what would you like to have going first ?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, lots of great help and assistance from a great community

In regards to your radio transmission then there are some rules you can follow that will ensure you comply with the law if you are concerned.

Follow these basic rules and you should be fine. Transmit on an unused frequency, do not transmit for miles and miles, do not use it for advertising and only use it during the show then if he does dob you in then the worst you could expect is to be asked to comply with the output levels required if you are trasmitting higher than 10 microwatts which is not much at all.

But being in a country town then to catch you out they would have to catch you when you are transmitting which will be at night which i dont think they will bother with

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL

mborg10

Michael Borg
Welcome to ACL. Firstly not sure what you mean by "pros" haha it's all fun. We all have that financial controller to keep the reigns pulled in