G'day from Perth, WA

jdu

New elf
Hi all,

My name is John and I live in Perth, Western Australia.

I have been looking at setting up some pixel based lighting this year, and am quite addicted to both the hardware and software.

I have built a tree out of 10 2m strips of 60led/m lights. These lights are controlled by an ECG-P2 controller.

[attachimg=1]

Next project is to get some lights outlining the roofline and windows of the house.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome58.gif

jdu

New elf
Habbosrus said:
G'day John, welcome to ACL. That tree looks great with the cut out behind it. What material did you use for the tree?

Hi,

It is simply mdf. I know it isn't particularly waterproof but that won't be a great problem with Perth weather or the location I intend to put it.

It was cut out on a cnc machine, which also cut the grooves for the led strip, and of course resulted in excellent precision.

A bit of undercoat and green paint and that was that.

10 metres (5 x 2m) on the left is wired up to the first output and the 10 metres on the right is wired to the second output of the ECG p2. This wiring also allows for two power supplies to be used to reduce heat.

Regards,

Jon

kane

Dedicated elf
Welcome to ACL, and nice tree, although it could be a bit lonely and might need some friends (if you were looking for an excuse)

The 60 led/metre stuff is great - I've used about the same total length as your tree (20m) across three spinners I've added this year - should add some interesting effects.

Seems to be getting a few more of us here in WA, so I'm sure we'll see some more animated displays this year.

jdu

New elf
Kane said:
Welcome to ACL, and nice tree, although it could be a bit lonely and might need some friends (if you were looking for an excuse)

The 60 led/metre stuff is great - I've used about the same total length as your tree (20m) across three spinners I've added this year - should add some interesting effects.

Seems to be getting a few more of us here in WA, so I'm sure we'll see some more animated displays this year.

Thanks, there will be more to come..... obviously going to take a few years to do this....

;-) by "few" I mean every year on an ongoing basis! ;-)