G'day from QLD! Your help is appreciated.

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
Hey everyone,

for many years I've been interested in taking my display to the next level and syncing lights to music. I'm at the point where I'm due to replace many of my lights, so I figured I might get a head start on 2021 and start my research for an epic display next year.

I've found out little bits and pieces over the years but I really want to put on a great display next year and overall im clueless.

Id love it if you guys could please give me any tips, advice, tricks, and in partiuclar the best places to buy pixel lights etc. (good kits to start with etc.)

Im pretty switched on with tech so I know ill pick up any coding required pretty easy. But yeah, thanks in advance!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The 3 best things to do are have a read of the ACL101, get to a lighting mini if they go ahead next May-June and get to 1 of the animated displays around town and have a talk to the person doing it. There's lots of peoples display locations on the display location link at the top of the ACL page.

AVXmaslights

New elf
Hi Joshaaye,

This is my 3rd year with pixels. I started with Allan's (Hanson Electronics) RPi-28D as I already had a Pi floating around, was an inexpensive way to start and experiment with a couple of strings of LED'S. This forum and Allan were great with support as I fumbled my way through the initial stages.
If the bug bites hard you can then decide to go big or if not you haven't invested huge sums of money.

This year I have expanded my display and deciding to support local, I have purchased Allan's HE123 range of controllers rather than the Falcon.
I'm 100% satisfied and highly recommend you check his range out. Links are in his post above.
I have also added some props from Extreme Lighting Displays. (Oz based corro products)

Having been through what you are about to embark on, my suggestion on top of what Allan has already mentioned is to search/read the posts in the ACL forums, if you are unsure just ask the question, the community here at ACL are fantastic.

Best of luck
Cam