Gday from the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne.

BluePat

New elf
Gday all.

Pretty new to this all, put up few bunnings lights in 2020 for my at the time 2yo daughter after getting them from my father in law. Then last year (2021) thought I can do a little better so bought a bunch more from bunnings and I thought I did pretty well but couldn't get the different strings to sync together so
I googled and that's where I went down the rabbit hole... OMG the things I didn't know about xmas lights fills volumes!!...
So I downloaded the auschristmaslighting 101 manual read it all... checked out a bunch of awesome display on youtube.... and well now I want a mega tree, basically chasing the ohh wows from my daughter.

As I spent a heap on lights last year would be a shame to ditch them all, so this year I think I will do a hybrid using the bunnings lights with the appropriate controller from Hanson and a pixel megatree controlled with a WLED.
I have purchased all the controllers just need to order the Pixels and mounting strap but as this is the most costly part, looking at about 1200 Pixels am little hesitant.

Any thoughts/suggestions/pointers on the hybrid set up or pixel purchasing would be welcomed.

I have added a picture of last years display.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL. I’m from SE Mel.

last year - I probably would have suggested a bigger controller if you were thinking you would expand. But if you can get a WLED controller (something like a dig-quad on Ethernet - not just a d1mini) then it’s probably the best place to start.

1200 pixels in a tree (I’m guessing 24 strands by 50) is a pretty nice spot. milk note that this is slightly addictive. I joined ACL 12 months ago because I was going to permanently install strip. Then I installed that and then getting another 5000 or so pixels by Christmas last year. And have ordered a bunch more for this year.

And a slight warning — my kids thought the lights were cool…. For the first night. After that - they were less excited.

BluePat

New elf
Thanks TWP, I have ordered the digiquad with ethernet.

and for the kids, my 4yo daughter was very excited, and then I asked her do you like it, she replied, yes, but I like that one better (pointing across the road)!! doh!!... but she did ask to go outside to see the lights every night before bed.... hmm perhaps she was just trying to delay going to bed!

i13

Dedicated elf
Welcome to the forum

There's plenty of info here about running pixels. I have a hybrid-style display like you describe and I'm happy to offer advice/suggestions. The pixels and the traditional strings have their own separate learning curves.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
@BluePat — if you haven’t seen it — the Melbourne mini would definitely be worth attending: