Gday from Western Australia

AJ

New elf
Hi all,
My names AJ I'm extremely interested in getting into animated christmas lighting, any info anyone can give me would be great, I have found a DIY kit but it's in the states it's just plug in and play, is there anything in aus like that

dale82

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL AJ, Firstly I would download the 101 manual and have a browse. There are Aussie options as well. Also pop into Chat as there is always great advice there too.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Welcome to another sandgroper.
I too am new this year... although I started just after xmas last year and found this forum not long after.
The best advice I can give, Is look at all of your options, don't just go for the cheap quick one, and get ready for a brain injury and a big dose of CLAP.
It really depends on how far you want to go, or think you may want to go, as you can get a cheap quick setup that you cannot expand on, or you can look at the big picture and get the right products to start with and then build on it. If you get addicted like me, then you may as well pay for the better products up front and not waste money on temp solutions. ie get a e131 controller straight up and not just a cheap DMX dongle, as I did. even if you don't go all out you will want to in the end....
if you don't understand what I wrote, then read the 101 manual that everyone keeps talking about. It is a very useful tool.
BTW, you can go down whatever road you want, I am just putting my 2 cents worth in!

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL AJ

Lots of very friendly folks here will be glad to help you figure out how to do a display. Just ask in the forums or jump into chat for some quick answers.

As already suggested a few times, the new revised 2nd addition AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, lots of great info, advice and help in the forums and in the chat room from a bunch of great members to help you get started

If you are wanting a plug and play solution in Australia then the Minleon system is a good option (im the importer :D )

But this option will always be more expensive than the DIY option but less time to learn

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Welcome from eastern Australia AJ.

I'm new as well, just started planning a little earlier in the year. There is a lot to stuff to come to terms with when you start out in light control but you've made a good start. Asking here before purchase is a good start. There'll be some challenges but it will be fun.

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
Welcome aboard. Am newby too this year. Read 101 manual. Then read it again as you get into it. When you get a hitch get onto chat. Saves heaps of time. R