Gearing up in New Zealand...

logandc99

Dedicated elf
As far as deep pockets are concerned, unfortunately our weak NZ dollar doesn't help keep the costs down although now is as good a time as any to spend US cash as our dollar is quite high against the green back ( but unfortunately still crap against the Ozy..... Damn you Australians for having such a strong dollar:) ).
You will get a bit of an idea of the costs of the lights, cables etc if you make up an order from Ray Wu's store ( but don't get to the point of actually paying for it) and you'll see the cost of the stuff and shipping in US dollars. Just be careful bringing in large values of stuff as NZ customs will ping you for it ( I think Shell had customs extract the odd arm and leg from one of her orders but she can verify that for you). Then add in the cost of the hardware, the bits that you need to hook up all the hardware and it soon ticks over into the thousands. Building props yourself is cheaper than buying ready to go versions and lots of cool stuff can be made with coro flute like candy canes, candles, bells, stars etc but you can always get the "ready to assemble" stuff from HolidayCoro in the US but again it'll cost. I think Shell has some RGB candles in her display but I don't know if they were HolidayCoro ones or DIY.
I have found using the LOR software pretty straight forward but it's the sequencing that takes up a lot of time, depending on how tight you want the sequences to look and how many channels you have to play with.
I started this year fairly small as a way of learning what is involved with this hobby and jumped straight into dumb RGB but hope next year to get into pixels (so will probably be picking the experienced brains in this forum over the next twelve months).
I am on the North Shore and am happy to share with you what I have in my setup but from your location I'm guessing Shell is closer and can also advise on what she has learned from doing pixels.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Eben said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ:

When you say deep pockets, what do you mean by deep?

It's starting to look like this might be another one of my infamous $4500 projects....

Looks like you may have deep enough pockets :D

Oh, missed that post. Yes indeed, you do seem to have deep pockets! :-0

kane

Dedicated elf
Eben said:
It's starting to look like this might be another one of my infamous $4500 projects....

This is where you guys should be talking me out of doing something stupid right?
You shouldn't do it - it's terrible putting smiles on everyone's faces and terrible being able to share a terribly addictive hobby with others!

Last year was my first year, and I wished that I'd gone more pixels instead of single colour strings... But you live and learn.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:
Eben said:

This is where you guys should be talking me out of doing something stupid right?
You shouldn't do it - it's terrible putting smiles on everyone's faces and terrible being able to share a terribly addictive hobby with others!

Last year was my first year, and I wished that I'd gone more pixels instead of single colour strings... But you live and learn.

We will be bad influences as most of us have the CLAP (Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem)

We will just help you spend your money :D

Eben

New elf
I certainly don't need more encouragement spending money, I'm spending a LOT as it is.

My partner usually tells me off for the amounts I spend. Having said that she wants the lights, I somehow suspect that spending and overspending will be quite acceptable in this case. She's worse than me with this sort of stuff, she doesn't know when enough is enough...

My problem is that I'm into too many things, and don't have enough time to do all of them to the level I would like to.

As for putting a smile on people's faces, I'm generally not a very nice guy (although I'm having a hard time convincing people)... I'm only getting into this because it appeals to my inner geek, my partner is more about giving people warm and fuzzies...

Robbo

Full time elf
Eben said:
I certainly don't need more encouragement spending money, I'm spending a LOT as it is.

My partner usually tells me off for the amounts I spend. Having said that she wants the lights, I somehow suspect that spending and overspending will be quite acceptable in this case. She's worse than me with this sort of stuff, she doesn't know when enough is enough...

My problem is that I'm into too many things, and don't have enough time to do all of them to the level I would like to.

I have the same problem, none of my hobbies are cheap either, have spent quite a few thousand dollars on camera equipment and likewise on christmas lighting.....last purchase order was $1200 and thats only a small part of what I want lol

The NZ dollar is quite weak, one of the reasons for me moving to Australia earn more, lower living costs, stronger dollar for overseas spending.....