Getting error message "sync error" when trying to open file help please!1

DanJ

Full time elf
I am getting a "sync error finding work viewable group by name" when attempting to open up a ".hls" file. If it matters, this file contains pixelplane and "regular" channels in it and I have done some setup of the viewer; trying to finish up the viewer. Thanks in advance!! Posted over at Falcon Christmas, also

Habbosrus

Back again
I've seen this error too, but can't remember for the life of me how to fix it. Send Joe a pm. I find him a little easier to contact at DIYC. In the mean time, can you post a pic of error and explain when it comes up? Any info you can provide may help.

DanJ

Full time elf
Great idea on sending PM to Joe. I normally try to post so others can see and get a search "hit" when they have the same problem. As I have worked on the groupings, folders, and channels this afternoon, I am no longer getting that error message. I was getting it as soon as I opened up this particular sequence (and only this one). I am trying to set one "dummy" sequence with intent of using its channel configuration for all of my sequences.

One weird problem I am now having--my PP groupings are all good (as I want them) but I am not able to get all my channels foldered into the folders in the channel manager. Should I worry about this? Or just proceed forward? I had always looked to channel manager as the "master" info spot for my channels. Maybe this is incorrect....??

Thanks for your input.

Habbosrus

Back again
DanJ said:
One weird problem I am now having--my PP groupings are all good (as I want them) but I am not able to get all my channels foldered into the folders in the channel manager. Should I worry about this? Or just proceed forward? I had always looked to channel manager as the "master" info spot for my channels. Maybe this is incorrect....??

Thanks for your input.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this statement. When you create your pp's, are the channels not showing in the pp folder? They should normally show in the pp folder. However, if you are using those channels in multiple pp's, then they won't show in all folders. Now I'm confusing myself. Did that make sense?

DanJ

Full time elf
I probably didn't say it correctly. When I try to setup the PP channels using "PixelPlane--Assign Channels to PixelPlane", only the megatree has all the channels (that I already assigned to it); the arches tell me "No PixelPlane data found". Further, when I "select display group to work on", only the megatree shows up as a single PP element. The arches show all the channels. So I am doing something wrong in setting up the arches, I think....

To answer your question, Habbo, yes the arch PP folders are present in the channel manager and all the channels are assigned to all six arches and the megatree; all is good there.

Habbosrus

Back again
Only MegaTree and matrix are current,y available as PixelPlanes. Did you create your arches as one of these? You can still create arches as PixelPlanes, you just create them as a matrix (or MegaTree if you prefer). That may be why you're not seeing them as pp's.

DanJ

Full time elf
Ok then I will just set them up as vertical matrices. I didn't think I should do that but I think I "have to" so they will "work as PPs" in the sequencer and the preview panel.

Habbosrus

Back again
DanJ said:
Ok then I will just set them up as vertical matrices. I didn't think I should do that but I think I "have to" so they will "work as PPs" in the sequencer and the preview panel.
That's right. Joe has suggested he will introduce more PP types at some stage, but for now the 2 available work with many types of elements. You will find vertical matrix works fine for arches. PP's make sequencing so much easier & quicker.

DanJ

Full time elf
I have now setup my arches as vertical matrices but I am not getting the arches to display on the sequence matrix format as "singular PP" (object?) items... They are still showing up as 60 individual pixels not PPs. I have mapped all the pixels to each arch object using "PixelPlane" then "Assign Channels to PP", but still not seeing it in the sequence matrix. Closed HLS then reopened it. Any ideas here??? I am going to go ahead & put some "dummy" signals into the channels so I can see if the pixels got mapped over to the preview panel or not. I checked my groups; they look good. Checked PPs; they look good.. Not sure where to go next...

Habbosrus

Back again
Can you zip up your sequence folder and upload it to online storage like BOX or something, send me a link and I'll take a look.

jhinkle

New elf
Sorry - been out of pocket

I tried to read the previous posts but got lost.

Can you restate you question with specific details.

HLS todate is pretty bug free. The issues seem to be how people want to use the tool -- different from how I intended it to be used.

Thanks.

Joe