Getting started do I wait?

I’m looking to start in 2023.
I know there are no falcon controllers available, do I wait for them to hopefully come into stock next year (hopefully early so I can be ready) or does anyone recommend the experience lights genius controller?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Look at a beagle /fpp based controller. Whilst there is a small licensing cost associated, it still ends up being quite cost effective.

The genius controllers are very new, so not many people will have them yet, they were only released two months ago.... as well as many are probably holding off using them in their shows until next year one they have proven themselves.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
And you do have some amount of time up your sleeve. Don't leave it forever - but you can leave it a couple of months.

Wayne1

Apprentice elf
Wait, if that the one you want. There is plenty of time and they seem to come in to stock randomly. I dont have enough experience to make recommendations.

Katekate

Senior elf
Falcons will come in stock at some point, but they probably wont last more than a day. So only consider that option if you want to check the site every day.

I suspect there will be enough collective experience with the genius boards by next year that they won't be a problem.

And kulps are available to order now too.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
(The F48-v4-NS has been available to order on the US site for a couple of weeks. So it looks like Falcon might be starting to get the components they need to build stuff (in that specific case - removing the second ethernet port&switch)

someoneAUS

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Same position as me. Looking at either the QuinLED stuff to get started or potentially the Experience Genius board does look cool.

I feel being so new being able to tinker all year gives me a better chance of getting things figured out and actually having some working lights for 2023 Christmas so I am keen to get at least a QuinLED quad to tinker with to begin with.

Just realized the genius doesn’t to stand alone audio,(strange because the board will have a stand alone option next year) I was planning on running my show initially direct from the controller

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Note that if you use any fpp based controllers, they can easily have audio added with a Usb adapter, if they don't come with audio on board. That's the advantage of using a show player to drive pixels 😂

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
In answer to "do I wait" I'd say absolutely yes.
After seeing videos or displays in person over the next few days, do more research to determine what actual hardware requirements would suit the needs of the display you'd like to build.
If you still want Falcons, these may become available in the new year, both new stock or 2nd hand from members who are changing or downsizing.

Kent

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
There is heaps of stuff to work out and learn. My first board was a WiFi QuinLED board flashed with WLED. It is able to both operate independently, but also receive streaming data from xLights. As such, it makes for a great starter board to learn the ropes, and then turns into a great standalone portable tester when you're trying to test / fix props after you've upgraded to your Falcon or similar, connecting to the soft AP running on the QuinLED board from your phone.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
My suggestion is to get started get a smaller WLED type controller to have so you can play around and test with. I started with a couple Dig-Uno's and have some Dig-Quads for playing and testing. This will get you started while you determine what controllers and hardware you need to get the full show up and running. It's nice to be able to build a few small things early and see progress to keep the energy flowing.

My first props were led strip leaping arches run off a Dig-Uno for testing. :)