Getting started with PixLite 16 and DMX

Anzinator

New elf
G'Day All,

New to the world of Computer Christmas Lighting and to the AusChristmasLighting forums!!!

I have a Pixlite 16 MKII and have it working fine with the LED strips and xLights. Now working on adding some DMX contolled spots.

So far I've not had any success and I hope I've just overlooked something simple. TO control the DMX spot I'm running a CAT 5 cable to DMX 3 pin plug wired using ESTA wiring.

So far I've been unable to get xLights to control the spot via the PixLite (as mentioned above LED strips all working fine).

I am using XLights 2020.4 and the latest V2.0.28 firmware on the Pixlite. Also at the moment I'm running 5v LED strips as a test but switching out to 12V strips.

Here are the relevant config items

Advatek Control Setup

1601632054042.png

XLights Controller Setup

1601632150737.png

Xlights Flood Layout Config

1601632248040.png

Xlights Layout Setup
1601632389649.png

And pointers/thoughts/corrections would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dennis

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
Add another controller called DMX-??? and set it to multicast 1 universe.
Give it a known Universe that is not part of the controller must be it's own.
Set your DMX equipment to start on that Universe.
xLights does not like PixLite DMX ports.
This how I do it (PixLite DMX PDF)

Attachments

• PixLite DMX.pdf
    109.9 KB · Views: 67

Anzinator

New elf
Thanks SaaltFam,

Will test in the next couple of days. Thanks for the guidance!!

Cheers

Dennis

TANSA

Generous elf
Anytime
Let me know how it goes.
PixLites are a great controller, you just have to work between stage/industrial and xLights.

Anzinator

New elf
Hi Saaltfam,

Was able to test out what you sent through. Still no luck but it may be the actually DMX device. It's an RGB DMX spot from Jaycar and I'm not sure that I can change the universe it's listening on. Very new to DMX so still learning.

Could it be that the Spot is listening on Universe 1 as a default? I'll also double check my connections on my Cat5 to DMX plug cable.

Cheers

Dennis

TANSA

Generous elf
I found a little bug. (That later)
What ever universe you use in the settings has to match the xLights eg universe 50 with universe 50.
The start channel of universe 50 on the controller DMX output is channel 1 and xLights it is 50x510=25500.
Now for the bug.
Set a single channel in xLights object/line/prop as a single channel or 3 whichever you find easier. (Dummy)
Now have the other DMX channels after that 1 or 3.
Once you turn that dummy channel/s on, all the others will work normally as sequenced.
Found this out the other day when testing my lights.
It took me awhile testing to work it out, it worked for my setup so hopefully it works for you.

Anzinator

New elf
Hi Saaltfam,

Thanks for the updated info. Haven't had a chance to test - will do that next weekend - as I've been working on resolving other lighting issues (all fixed now!).

Cheers

Dennis

Anzinator

New elf
Hi Saaltfam,

Finally got back to testing and I having mostly success. Looking at your other post I saw you were using a DMX controller whereas I'm going straight into a DMX light.

The trick for me was working out how to set the channel on the actual DMX light to match Advatek/XLights which turned out to be quite easy (just wasn't in the manual).

It's working great in test mode, but it won't turn on or response when using it in a sequence - but will circle back around to figure that out.

Thanks for all the help - I believe I'm really close (well I hope so :))

The config I ended up with is as follows:

Advatek Config
1603276959760.png

XLights Controller Config
1603277009723.png

Layout Config
1603277049772.png

Cheers

Dennis

TANSA

Generous elf
It may be the first channel on Universe 17:1
The PixLite still only transmits DMX out of the DMX so my PWM decoder just changes the DMX code to PWM it is still a DMX signal.
Your lights convert the DMX into each channel into a output level for each colour like my decoder.
Can you start your DMX light as channel 2 to make a dummy channel 1?
As a test sequence channel 1 as always on and see if the other behave normal and if you turn channel 1 off if it plays up.

Anzinator

New elf
Hi Saaltfam,

Thanks for all the help - we now have success. It boiled down to setting the right channel on the actual DMX light. Once I did that all is working.

Didn't need the dummy light to make it work.

The config remains as above just needed to adjust the channel on the actual light and we are off to the races.

Cheers

Dennis