GFI outlets

yzguy96

Full time elf
Hi

Has anyone had problems with GFI outlets outside to run their sequences? Mine keeps popping and its hard to say if it was the rain we had or the lights flashing off and on causing the GFI to think there is voltage issues?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
In 9 years of doing lights and 5 with controlled lights I have had gfi trip twice and both times it was while lights were all turned off. At times in my sequences I am flashing about 3kW of lights on and off synchronously and that doesn't cause any problems and I've used my lights quite happily in lights rain with no issue.
If you're using 110V lights as is quite common in the States and there is rain about then I'd say that your GFI is doing its job as you're possibly pumping some volts into the ground.

yzguy96

Full time elf
on this specific outlet its only 1 LOR controller only using 5 channels...this is the first night i am running my show so i will keep an eye on it...i turned it on last night when i noticed it wasnt working and it played throughout my sequence but seems to trip after but not 100% sure yet...it poured outside and raining so it would have just been the water...right now there is a little snow outside so that may affect it too? They are outside extension cords and lights so do I still need to do something to protect them where they plug into each other?

Bird

LOR user
I run my entire exterior (although small) 1 LOR contoller, 2 CCR's and a mix of other light items, through 1 GFI outlet and have never had it trip in the rain or snow.

crispy

Apprentice elf
The GFI should only trip if the Hot and Neutral currents aren't close to equal. I think if the difference is more than 5mA it will trip.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You must ensure that the plugs on your leads are protected from water ingress as this will definetly cause your trips. Water and electricity are not a good combination and by not putting any water protection on mains plugs is asking for trips when it rains.