Goodbye

scamper

Dedicated elf
I have no idea what went on, all I can add to this is that when someone types something (me anyway) they usually type what they are thinking. However, you cannot put the emphasis on words or phrases as you would when you are speaking.
This can make a HUGE difference on the interpretation of any sentence.
I have had some people on here say something in a reply to a comment that I have made, and first reaction is they are having a go at me. But when I think a little more about it, I often find 3 or 4 different ways the message can be taken.
All I can say is this of ALL the forums I have been a part of is by far THE most accepting.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Really sorry to hear all this negativity about this forum, I have been away so haven't been here for the last few nights and I am still catching up with all the horrible things that happened over in Paris,
I do feel Logan we all need to stand up against these cyber bullies and pull together, not letting them win, not showing them what they want to see, its them that should be the ones on here apologizing and pleading why they should be allowed to stay on such a fantastic community spirited forum, this is here to pull people together to celebrate such a great tradition enjoyed by many people, its also here for us to chat with one another about many other topics, and as a few other people have said along the way online does get misinterpreted, as I have had this happen before and for which I stood and said sorry.
To those of you (whom I do not know as I wasn't there to see exactly went down) I hope you see what really negative comments read by others can do, I really hope Logan you can overlook the mistakes of a few and come back to the community that works together and pulls through in these times of trouble,
bpj1980 (aka Brad)

Gilrock

Full time elf
There has not been any cyber bullying on the xlights Facebook group. At least not on the official one...I'm not in the unofficial one.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Don't go, I really doubt anyone in this group really means any harm. Sure there may be disagreements among some of us. However, we are all here for one reason.

"Blinky", and watching the joy on everyone's face as we run our shows for all to see.

Let us never forget that.

-Blu

gerry

Senior elf
Hello Logan,
Cant say anything about the chat, but I don't think that there was anything on the two forums mentioned that you should take badly. These two forums are some of the best that I have been on and sometimes it is easy to misinterpret people comments (as someone said the posted word does not reflect what a voice can do).

Like anything online , it is easy and quick for someone to post a "witty" remark as an add on which may not look that great in hindsight.

After seeing the post about the Dutch flag , I did go and look it up , cause I had also seen (and ignored) the Ch 7 headline , so just wanted to see the diff. I don't think it was meant badly.

If you still feel strongly about it , take a break from the forum , but do come back.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have been in touch with Logan because I thought afterwards something that I said in chat may have been taken the wrong way. It was. What I had done was post the full list of red,white, blue flags from wikipedia as I had joined chat while kel was replying to someone else with a number of other flags that were also red,white and blue. I then said that Sheldon Cooper taught me everything I knew about flags from his "fun with flags" webcast on Big Bang Theory. A couple of others and I rabitted on about Big Bang and the cast and that was about it. Logan joined chat about then and probably got the impression that I was having a dig about his post. I wasn't and wouldn't.

Logan has told me that he is not reading these posts and I am only posting this so that people know that he isn't and also that something as innocuous as what I had "said" in chat could be mistaken.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Jedi your comments are out of order disgusting clearly logan has been offended and maybe was misinterpreted as yes there is no sound tone or expression in text. But nevertheless from all comments on this thread he is a valued respected member who has helped many people . And you are still mocking him !

elnino

Full time elf
Glad to see that post was moderated.

I have only met a small handful of individuals on this forum but all of the people I have met are great people. Kind, generous and willing to sacrifice their own time for the better of the community. I am yet to see any evidence of racism, vilification or even any form of n00b abuse. Just a generally great bunch of people.

Vote to lock thread...

jediknight2

Full time elf
It's just frustrating to see someone throw their hands up...for no reason. These forums are full of people from different countries, with different attitudes and different temperments. You just gotta roll with it. There's no reason to abandon a group because of a statement, that ended up being misinterpreted. You also simply can't allow yourself to infer meaning from written words to the point you get that upset. ...there's not a forum on the internet that doesn't get rowdy from time to time...people are different and you kinda have to accept it or you'll be ticked all the time. In addition...it's VERY difficult when people from different countries talk because even English speaking countries have word barriers. I had to keep that in mind during my Air Force career...you just can't jump because they might not mean it the way you took it. Fist fights aren't fun over word meanings...neither is a valued member leaving here....

I apologize if I offended any one...but it's just plain frustrating to see someone allow themselves to be run off like that.

i13

Dedicated elf
It is less bad now that you've edited it. I'm not a moderator but I want what's best for this community. I therefore suggest asking yourself whether you're going to improve the situation in any way, shape or form by saying that. You don't want him leaving and that now shows.

Yes it is frustrating but logandc99 didn't just leave for no reason. He has been here for three years so clearly he has the "somewhat thick skin" that you say is required. The thing that frustrates me was that he just vanished; a community response this strong would have brought him back if he'd given more of an indication that he was offended before leaving.

logandc99 if you do read this then please give ACL a second chance; you're a valuable member of this community and we don't want that to change.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Paris happened, and that's simply life, and nothing we can do can reverse it. What we can do is whatever feels right. If that is nothing, or putting a few Blue, White and Red lights on your house, or going all out with the French flag, anthem, and even a dedicated song as part of your display then that's up to the individual.

Nobody has the right to criticize what people have done, or not done, the order or orientation of the colors. Now if someone puts up the wrong flag on a LED Matrix, then ok say something, but unless the error is something like that then leave them to do what they want....

jediknight2

Full time elf
We also have to realize that people deal with tragedy differently. As a USAF firefighter I've seen people get sad, mad, ignore and yes, joke and laugh about tragedy as a defense mechanism to deal with what they're feeling. IMHO someone who deals with it by joking has every right to deal with it that way just as much as someone who cries. You can't look at people through a simple set of eyes...

As far as attacking others for their display...that's just childish and tacky. We had a guy on the LOR FB page that went full idiot because someone's display wasn't "Christmas" enough. Again..I'm frustrated when ANYONE bails on the group's because of another's comment because a lot of times it's just differing personalities at work.

Gilrock

Full time elf
And then there's people like me that still don't know what happened except that "something" happened. I think that offends some folks but I don't watch the news and I'm too busy helping everyone get their sequences running to keep up with things.