Greetings from The Great White North

lightfreak

53 year old light freak
Hello ACL

Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Steve aka "lightfreak" and been doing this hobby for about 3 years, I am a DIY person most of the time. My main job here in Canada is I have been in the automotive industry for 30 Years and still going, use to make engines that were shipped Down Under to Holden Manufacturing. Been married to Barb for almost 27 years, have 2 boys Chris and Nick, 23 and 19. Started doing electronic work about 10 Years ago, started building tube amps for guitars and slowly progressed to other things including microchips for certain test equipment. I have a mentor here in Canada who was in the TV repair business for about 40 years. We go to alot of Hamfest here in southern Ontario to buy and sell parts. We have done many trials to make PCB's the least expensive and we have succeeded. Started doing lights about 3 years ago, started with a simple chaser box and have progressed since, last 2 years been using 64 channels and this year going up to 128 channels and a 8 universe E1.31 for some led projects. I use the Renard protocol with Vixen, jumped to Vixen 3 this year.
Nice to meet you all
Steve aka lightfreak

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL Steve.
I don't know how you do Xmas in the great white north. If it was me I'd have to everything setup by about August as it'd be too cold to step outdoors after that.

lightfreak

53 year old light freak
Where I live in the south of Ontario it usually not to bad during set up at the end of November, 5-10 c but this year was a colder than usual winter, set up was around 0 c and pack up the first weekend of January was bitter cold with a nasty wind chill of about -15 c. Generally our winters right near Niagara Falls are not to bad, 2 years ago it stayed around 0-5 c all winter and hardly no snow. I am hoping for another mild winter with all the extra features I want to add this year, one can only hope.

Steve aka lightfreak

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Steve

Sounds like you will have some educational tidbits to share with us.
Have any videos of past years display?
Jump into chat and say hey sometime, most always someone in there. :)

firebug

Senior elf
lightfreak said:
The engines were 5.7 liter v8 that went into Holdens version of the Impala. I have one small video of my lights from this year.
Steve aka lightfreak

I currently own one of those... :D