Grouping on P12s

dougd

Full time elf
From what little bit of information I could find. Each output on the P12s has 510 channels. It also says 170 pixels per output. So if I do grouping of 4, can I still only hook up 170 pixels which would be only 128 channels.

Anyone have any experience with this?

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
dougd said:
From what little bit of information I could find. Each output on the P12s has 510 channels. It also says 170 pixels per output. So if I do grouping of 4, can I still only hook up 170 pixels which would be only 128 channels.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Dougd, You cannot put pixel strings in parallel on a P12 output. Each pixel node has a unique address.
a P12 has 12 outputs, each output can control a single universe, a universe is 512 channels, a pixel requires 3 channels Red-Green-Blue, thus one P12 output can control 170 (512/3) pixels.
If not then yet done then maybe read the manual in the Wiki http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting_101

dougd

Full time elf
Here is my example. I have 4 arches each with 40 pixels in them. I want to do grouping of 4 so to the sequencing software each arch is 10 pixels. I don't need or want any more control then that. I will tell the software for the p12 that I have 160 pixels and grouping of 4. The end result is only 120 channels actually being used out of that output.

The manual says each output is capable of 510 channels and 170 pixels. Pixels override channels I guess.

Hope that makes sense.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
dougd said:
Here is my example. I have 4 arches each with 40 pixels in them. I want to do grouping of 4 so to the sequencing software each arch is 10 pixels. I don't need or want any more control then that. I will tell the software for the p12 that I have 160 pixels and grouping of 4. The end result is only 120 channels actually being used out of that output.

The manual says each output is capable of 510 channels and 170 pixels. Pixels override channels I guess.

Hope that makes sense.

dougd, you can do as you say you want to. The P12 output will do 170 pixels and you will have 160 (40 end to end) so that is OK.
As far as grouping you still need to assign a unique address to EVERY one of those 160 pixels. In your programming you decide what each pixel is to do, and turning BLACK (or OFF) is still a command that needs to be sent.
The software you use and the programming you write in Vixen, LOR, xLights, LSP etc is where you send the commands to. The P12 is just the gateway to the pixels and does not "control".

For your grouping that is done in the software not the hardware. Trust this helps.