Gutless Vandals

kane

Dedicated elf
Thanks for all the comments - we certainly are not letting it get us down. When it first happened, I was pretty bitter, but as yesterday went on I quickly realised how amazing society is generally - it's only the odd idiot that tries to ruin it for us all.

We've had over 35,000 people view the footage from our facebook page, and it was also shown on all three commercial networks last night. Also had a couple radio interviews and the story was in the paper today as well. I'm not sure if the culprits are found, but if they are, a decent size fine should be paid to charity I think!

We've had a company (Unique Metals) offer to rebuild the tree structure within the next couple of days, so that's amazing - and we should hopefully be able to get it back up and running on the weekend. Just need to go through all the strings to work out how many require fixing - that shouldn't take long at all. Already had heaps of people offer to come and help (way more than could fit!), so should be all good.

Hopefully I'm the only one with any damage and nothing happens to anyone else!

Cheers

Kane

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
People like those vandals are just grinches and don't understand how many people they're disappointing. Being equipped with a tool (golf club) makes it sound like it wasn't a random drive-by. I know what it feels like, having happened to me with the mega tree in years gone by (without golf clubs).

And great news that the community is behind you & offering to help, just goes to show that not everyone is heartless. That's good that you have footage of those idiots which should hopefully help to identify them. With word out, surely somebody knows them and will speak up.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I was horrified when I saw that video of those vandals, it all was done in a matter of seconds and looks like a bunch of young punks who think vandalizing a Christmas display would be something funny. But as your realizing this type of scum is the vast minority and you are now seeing the true spirit of Christmas with the reaction to this vile act.

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
It's gutting to see that happen. One of my neighbours asked me on Sunday night if I had any trouble and 'touch wood' so far its been good but it did get me thinking about getting a camera, particularly with all the discussions about them in chat this year. I guess it may be some consolation that you have been able to capture them on camera and I hope that they can be found. It is heartening to see the Christmas spirit alive in all the offers to help, its just a shame given the events that bought it out.

kane

Dedicated elf
ryanschristmaslights said:
Being equipped with a tool (golf club) makes it sound like it wasn't a random drive-by. I know what it feels like, having happened to me with the mega tree in years gone by (without golf clubs).

I'm still trying to hold on to the thought that it was actually a random drive-by, especially seeing that they were coming along the adjacent road (which is pretty busy) towards the beach.

The golf clubs could have been in their boot - they were Callaway clubs (expensive), so unless they were stolen, I doubt they'd pre-meditate an attack using them. Unfortunately the police weren't able to pull any prints off the club that was left behind (snapped in half)

pipersmall said:
It's gutting to see that happen. One of my neighbours asked me on Sunday night if I had any trouble and 'touch wood' so far its been good but it did get me thinking about getting a camera, particularly with all the discussions about them in chat this year.

One of our friends asked exactly the same thing at about 8pm on that night - and I laughed it off, saying it's all been fine.. Less than an hour later I was proven wrong! We did hassle him for jinxing us!

Sam

I have got C.L.A.P
Some of the idiotic people in this world! Stay strong, keep your head high and hopefully you should be back up and running soon. If it wasn't for the 1000's of kms I would be there helping you! and I am sure a lot of others would be too.

Cheers. Sam.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I think your right and was my first assumption by the way they came past. A bunch of young idiots out for the night and one of them says how about we trash that display we drove past earlier form some fun, and then they all agree.

Im sure many of us have done stupid things in the past when we were young and hanging out with mates trying to prove our manhood.