Halloween in Oz

kel

Dedicated elf
No idea where to put this ... however,

* Why do some Aussies follow Halloween in Oct ... rather than May?

I do not understand??????????????????????

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
[font=times, 'times new roman', serif]October 31st is the correct time[/font]

Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity, life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a secular, community-based event characterized by child-friendly activities such as trick-or-treating. In a number of countries around the world, as the days grow shorter and the nights get colder, people continue to usher in the winter season with gatherings, costumes and sweet treats.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Beacy said:
[font=times, 'times new roman', serif]October 31st is the correct time[/font]

Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity, life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween. Over time, Halloween evolved into a secular, community-based event characterized by child-friendly activities such as trick-or-treating. In a number of countries around the world, as the days grow shorter and the nights get colder, people continue to usher in the winter season with gatherings, costumes and sweet treats.

Thanks Kel and Beacy .
I have heard something about Halloween in May but never knew myself what they were cracking on about.
To Answer your Question Kel, I do Halloween at my friends place as a trial run for Christmas and a bit of fun. The only meaning it has to me is that it is another excuse for a cool gathering and a drink.

Mike

CLAP infected!
I don't do Halloween. I personally think its just an American tradition and should be just that.

Lighting wise I think as Steve said a good thing for a trial run.
I suppose we could do Australia Day or something else meaningful to us. Or start off Christmas in July for real!