"Happy Birthday" posts

Does anyone think the "Happy Birthday" posts are worth having on the site?

• Yes

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Dedicated elf
We talked about this in chat a couple weeks ago, and the general opinion was that these are a waste of everyone's time (popping up in "unread" posts etc), and the only benefit they have is to boost post tallies!

What does everyone think?

keith33

New elf
While i agree with these posts being a slightly annoying popping up in "Unread" lists...this is a "Community" not just an info wiki so i don't see any reason not say happy birthday to members.

TBH i dont give rats about my post numbers either so this is just my 2 cents

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Just think, you might not get anyone wishing you happy birthday, at least here you know the community cares to remind you your getting older

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I see it as a personal touch to the forum, its nice to be recognised on your birthday. I would like to think here at ACL we offer more than just information. :D

kane

Dedicated elf
I just think that they get in the way of real information - I like to load up all unread posts and try to chime in if I can help - but having those posts just gets in the way of seeing if there were any new "real" posts

Perhaps if it was possible to allow us to setup a set of folders that you want to see new posts from, and you could exclude particular folders. Ryan, if you're listening, is this possible?

Ps - wasn't trying to stir the pot, just sharing my views

kool-lites

Full time elf
Leave the Happy Birthdays to Facebook and other social media/networks. You can even leave photos of being plastered if that suits you.

Community? - Yes in the sense of a share / common goal where all are treated with fairness, kindness and respect.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Kane said:
I just think that they get in the way of real information - I like to load up all unread posts and try to chime in if I can help - but having those posts just gets in the way of seeing if there were any new "real" posts

Perhaps if it was possible to allow us to setup a set of folders that you want to see new posts from, and you could exclude particular folders. Ryan, if you're listening, is this possible?

Ps - wasn't trying to stir the pot, just sharing my views

I do agree Kane, I like to know and pass on my wishes to people I know are active in the forum when i can but the addition of a spam like folder would be awesome to separate the real info

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Due to many not wanting birthday wishes i have decided to stop doing the birthday wishes. If you do know someone who is active that is having a birthday i think it would be worthwhile sending a PM to them to wish them the best on their day, that way they are still being acknowledged on thier day

SmartAlecLights

a total of 16 people voted out of the whole site of over 120 people,
since when does that count for most people? or cant someone count!
This board is getting worse an worse

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Alec i can understand their point of view, most people come here for the information and the birthday wishes can get in the way of getting that information. So the best way i reakon is to just send a PM instead, that way the member still gets recognised on their birthday without cluttering up the most recent posts with a bunch of birthday wishes.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
For all those interested you can see the members birthdays at the bottom of the main forum page, all you need to do is click on the name to send a PM to that person
Another place to see the birthdays is in the calander

kel

Dedicated elf
sorry, eddy ... I didn't vote nor did my other half ... but this one cannot be ignored ...

To Eric

5.gif

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
It seems that this issue has become somewhat divided. Im happy to continue with the birthday post if more prefer that it continues. In the end we live in a democratic country so if in the coming days i see the pendulum swing further in favour of having birthday posts then it will be reinstated. I personally like the birthday posts and would love to see more support for this as i dont see it as a great inconvenience and its nice to be recognised on your birthday.

I will close this thread on Wednesday night and which ever gets the greater votes will be the way we move forward. So please speak up now.

SmartAlecLights

It was certain people that did'nt like seeing the birthday posts,

Just like i dont like seeing the LOR posts, in the unread section.

It's called putting up with it, you can allways not see it if you dont want too.

At least most of the other sites do birthday wish's

Status
Not open for further replies.