Has Facebook been considered ?

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
As we are always keen to welcome new members I have noticed this year the number of members that find us after they have committed to hardware that may not suit their needs and may have been more costly than was necessary. The difficulty is they couldn't find us till it was all too late. On the other hand there are many people that would love to do it dont know where to start searching.

This year we have put up a Facebook page for our display and in the 1st week have been astounded at the response (I am by now means a Facebook person - its's the wife) given this and the fact that something like 75% of females have facebook pages I wonder if it may be prudent to set up a Facebook page for ACL that could act as a hub for those of us that have them to link to which in turn could have those that are "Facebookers" to point the future Blinky Flashy Technician in the right direction.

Bird

LOR user
Facebook would act like a pyramid.
One friend links and their friends see the link and then those friends add the link to their page and then the friends of the friends see it and so on and so on. It could create a large influx of newbies very fast. It is a very effective way to get new people and you don't have to do anything put post it once.
But be warned, it has the ability to grow like a wildfire with no way to slow it down or stop it.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Face book does have that power but my theory is it could be the ramp to the bridge for those who wish to come into the world of Blinky and for others its an easy way to find and admire displays.

The fact that it would have the seperation from the main ACL website allows the admirers to stay on the Facebook side if they want

That is why now may be the time to do it all our displays are starting to go up and with the introduction of a lot of pixel displays this year this may prompt more interest. They will see it and have 12 months to plan for it rather then have them turn up on the doorstep on 1 November wanting to do a 300 channel display with something they have bought and is no good for their use.

aarondwyer

New elf
You can have multiple admins for the FB page, and others can post their stuff to it, with the admins moderating it.

I think it would be a good complimentary addition.

You could then have a find us on Facebook link at the top of the forum which helps move people back and forth.

PS make sure to select website when choosing the page type in FB. Anything else and over 10,000 members and FB can take the page back off you and convert it into a community page (give it back to the people).

PPS Since they do what they like, they most likely have changed that rule in the last 6 months.

Aaron

Mike

CLAP infected!
Beacy our lights have a facebook page. They have for about 6 weeks and we are getting a good response. Personally I dont like facebook, But for this kind of stuff I can see the point in it. Getting the word out

I do like what it has been doing for us

Forgot to add, our FB page is set up as a community page and has 2 admins. My wife and her friend.
So far 70 people "like" it

ewanh

what goes here?
So there is one for Alec, one for Beacy and one for Mike.

What are the titles so we can search and like them ourselves?

There is one with 21,000 ppl liking it and all it has is one photo..... no discussions...