Having a problem with mapping

DILA

New elf
I have multiple sequences from same supplier. I saved a mapping from the first sequence. When I load the mapping on another sequence xlights marks all the groups, models and sub models that do not exist in the sequence in red. It took more time to delete the red items than if I had not used the saved mapping at all. Is there a way to tell xlights to not map the non existing elements?

thanks

Bob

DILA

New elf
While there are other options, you can safely ignore the red/unmapped items.
It's good to know that I can ignore them, but it seems very strange that the default action is to map errors in the first place.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Generous elf
When you import a sequence, it's nice to know if all the elements of your show have something on them, and that all the things the import sequence offers are used for something.

There are visual indicators that let you know if you're "missing something" when you map.
On the left, it's empty if it gets nothing, or red if you thought you'd get something because you had a map entry from before.
On the right, it's gray if it is used, or normal if unused, so you can see which effects don't have homes.

So the red serves a purpose. If you expected the vendor would provide something for a model and set your map accordingly, only to find that they changed the layout a bit from year to year (or sequence to sequence), then you will have more work to do to get a good import. (Or auto map, I suppose. There are other options aside from what we're discussing here.)

I have gotten sequences from 20+ suppliers and imported from 15+, gotta say the nuisance level varies a lot from one to the next, and if it matters to you it will possibly factor into your choice of supplier.