HE123 EEPROM Generator (Beta/Test?)

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm made an EEPROM generator for the HE123 Mk2 board.
This will create a unique serial number based on your email address and create an EEPROM file for it.

This presents the various UI options within FPP to allow the configuration of strings without having to tell it that it's an RGBCape48F.
It also means that the controller push from xLights works, defining it as a HE123 board.
The hardware - OLED, RTC and buttons - are all pre-configured, as well as the temperature sensor.

Right now, the digital signature is signed by my app, so, you can either
1. Not install the signature; this will keep pretty much everything going except Smart Receivers, the Temperature Sensor and some cape logos.
2. Install the public key, which then opens up the full ability of the board.

This is all good on FPP5.5
With FPP6.0, the digital signature will be provided by FPP developers as part of the license you procure. This should then eliminate the step of copying on my certificate. (which doesn't work in 6.0 anyway).
Having a proper EEPROM also means that your purchased license will stay with the physical hardware cape, rather than be a file on the SD card which could be corrupted.
Note, however, it is untested on 6.0 at the moment.

So: you can access the generator here:

And you can read more about how the EEPROM works on my blog:

Edit: After testing on FPP6.0, the original 'signed' EEPROM for FPP5.5 doesn't work. I've released a new generator which does exactly the same thing, but does not digitally sign it.
This seems to be working fine now with FPP 6, and is quite happy to be signed by FPP with purchased / grandfathered licenses.

Note: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is considered Beta/Test software, and is not endorsed by @AAH . If you have any issues with it, please drop me a note on here.

Last edited:

brando

Full time elf
Is there any benefit to not needing to tell FPP it's an RGBCape48F and having the controller push from xLights?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Not specifically no, if you're willing to set it up that way, it works fine.
The above was more of a proof-of-concept and also so that I could tie my FPP 6 licenses to the actual device rather than using a virtual EEPROM.

brando

Full time elf
Has anyone upgraded to FPP6 on Alan's controllers and had success with the physical EEPROM? I can't seem to get it to work. I tried the install in place method, didn't work, so I flashed FPP6 onto the SD direct and went that way.
I uploaded/installed my EEPROM file, it says upgrade complete, however it doesn't seem to keep. When I reboot, I come straight back to it saying I have an unprogrammed physical EEPROM installed.

Am I stuck with the virtual RGB123 EEPROM? Or am I missing something?

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 9.58.21 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 9.53.53 am.png

brando

Full time elf

Not sure if you actually read my post or not or the context of this thread. Cape has physical eeprom, I am not able to get it to recognise when upgrading to FPP6. Working fine with FPP5.5.

Have my vouchers, but I don't get to the point of using them and won't be using virtual eeprom unless that's my only option. If that's the case so be it and will be simple enough, hence the actual point of my post

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Brando - apologies I havent gotten to your PM - I've been out with work conferences this week.
I plan to sit down this weekend and look into it in depth.

At this point, I did a test with FPP6 when it was in beta, and it appeared to work - I'll double check with release and see if anything is different.
On this - so it can be tested - did you do an in-place upgrade, or did you install a fresh image of 6 to the SD?

brando

Full time elf
Hi Brando - apologies I havent gotten to your PM - I've been out with work conferences this week.
I plan to sit down this weekend and look into it in depth.

At this point, I did a test with FPP6 when it was in beta, and it appeared to work - I'll double check with release and see if anything is different.
On this - so it can be tested - did you do an in-place upgrade, or did you install a fresh image of 6 to the SD?
I've tried both. Both seemingly the same issue in not recognising the eeprom. Seems ok when uploading it, then after reboot it still says it's unprogrammed

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Cheers. I'll give it a go and report back any progress or "gotchas" that I find :)

3636lightshow

New elf
I'm made an EEPROM generator for the HE123 Mk2 board.
This will create a unique serial number based on your email address and create an EEPROM file for it.

This presents the various UI options within FPP to allow the configuration of strings without having to tell it that it's an RGBCape48F.
It also means that the controller push from xLights works, defining it as a HE123 board.
The hardware - OLED, RTC and buttons - are all pre-configured, as well as the temperature sensor.

Right now, the digital signature is signed by my app, so, you can either
1. Not install the signature; this will keep pretty much everything going except Smart Receivers, the Temperature Sensor and some cape logos.
2. Install the public key, which then opens up the full ability of the board.

This is all good on FPP5.5
With FPP6.0, the digital signature will be provided by FPP developers as part of the license you procure. This should then eliminate the step of copying on my certificate. (which doesn't work in 6.0 anyway).
Having a proper EEPROM also means that your purchased license will stay with the physical hardware cape, rather than be a file on the SD card which could be corrupted.
Note, however, it is untested on 6.0 at the moment.

So: you can access the generator here:

And you can read more about how the EEPROM works on my blog:

Note: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. This is considered Beta/Test software, and is not endorsed by @AAH . If you have any issues with it, please drop me a note on here.
Hi @Skymaster,

I am trying to create the custom bin for my DIY boards, I have gone through your blog, still I need more information on creating the bin, could you sharing the code base for the php server which in term create the bins for the generator page ..?

Ktag

Apprentice elf
I'm having the same problem as Brando, and without reading this post did exactly the same process. Can you let me know if you got anywhere?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
@Ktag @brando

I figured out the issue. It's to do with the digital signing that I had from the 5.5 stuff which breaks with v6.0 - it causes the FPP cape detection routine to crash. I've created a new firmware page which issues 'unsigned' firmware, which can then be loaded onto the EEPROM. https://apps.mortonlights.com/he123-unsigned/ Works exactly the same way, just generates a slightly different EEPROM. Re-issue your file and you'll get a "Version 6" eeprom.

Testing with one of my devices - I have successfully redeemed one of my vouchers / license keys with this, and it appears to be operational.

Also I compared the eeprom signed by the shop vs the one that was uploaded, fortunately nothing was modified, other than the license key bits and pieces. Which means no functionality modification!

1661945722013.png1661945753069.png1661945783218.png1661945842192.png

brando

Full time elf
@Ktag @brando

I figured out the issue. It's to do with the digital signing that I had from the 5.5 stuff which breaks with v6.0 - it causes the FPP cape detection routine to crash. I've created a new firmware page which issues 'unsigned' firmware, which can then be loaded onto the EEPROM. https://apps.mortonlights.com/he123-unsigned/ Works exactly the same way, just generates a slightly different EEPROM. Re-issue your file and you'll get a "Version 6" eeprom.

Testing with one of my devices - I have successfully redeemed one of my vouchers / license keys with this, and it appears to be operational.

Also I compared the eeprom signed by the shop vs the one that was uploaded, fortunately nothing was modified, other than the license key bits and pieces. Which means no functionality modification!

View attachment 20770View attachment 20771View attachment 20772View attachment 20773
Great stuff mate, thank you. I’ll give it a crack over the next few days.

brando

Full time elf
Have loaded mine, seemingly worked without issue. Haven't run the controller yet, but all loaded and signed and everything looks good