Heat in my junction box

Swede_84

New elf
Hello

Putting together my first light show of the year. I live in Sweden, here in winter it is normally -10°C (14F) but can reach down to -20°C (-4F). What do you think, do I need some extra heat in my cabinet?

I'm running a Falcon F16V4 controller with an FPP on a raspbarry PI. The PI was assembled according to the image.

I'm afraid that the components will get, hot and then cold after each show and moisture can form, which can damage the electronics
AS you can see my cabinet is a litle to big

20231004_111016.jpg

20230920_214529.jpg

Katekate

Senior elf
meanwell says the lrs-350 power supply is good down to -25c

if you are worried about humidity add some dessicant.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
The big concern I see are the three holes above your mains block in the top-left hand corner. The box will want to be fully sealed to allow desiccant or any other moisture absorber to work, along with refraining from opening the front as much as possible.

If thermal cycling is an issue, a small light bulb (like a 10W incandescent oven globe) running constantly should produce enough heat to keep the box at a more "reasonable" temperature to prevent the swings.

Swede_84

New elf
Thanks guys I´m a bit less nervouse for something going wrong.

I have got a small pillow for capture moisture, it´s for cars so it should be good to go
And the three holes in top of it has also been sealed, so the cabinet is 100% water proof.

Smart ideé to use a lights bulb

scamper

Dedicated elf
even at idle, the power supplies will produce some heat. Maybe just leave them on and you can monitor the temp on the f16 board to see what you get.
Once my display is up and going, I leave all electronics on and have the display run on a timer, I haven't had any trouble with this so far.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Some of our friends up in Minnesota (Minnesnowda) put a C9 AC bulb inside their controller boxes. The heat from that small lightbulb, enclosed, is enough to keep the inside of the box warm enough during down times.