Answered Height and Width of Models in Layout-Pixel Based?

Mark-H

New elf
After changing the height and width it appears those numbers are not based on actual dimensions. I am guessing it is asking for the number of pixels within the invisible grid that cover the scene.
If that is the case, can someone tell me how to be more accurate with the size of the model?

I know the prop size will look different at closer and further distances. That said it would be nice to dial in the real size and then perhaps hold the shift key down and adjust one of the corner size adjusters to hold the X-Y ratio during placement.

Thanks

Ellis

Naughty Elf
If you already have the models built and its practical to do so (ie Arches), place them in the yard and take a photo from same distance and perspective as your xlights background pic.

Obviously this wont work for a new mega tree and such unless you have a lot of time on your hands to set it up just for a photo.

Mark-H

New elf
I understand what your strategy is. It make sense however am just getting started with zero props. You have given me a great idea. I can model my house in Solidworks and place my intended props then use that image and have accurate size and placement. Excellent, thanks.

I am still trying to figure out what I like so a cost can be estimated for the first year. this will make it a lot easier.

Mark-H

New elf
Ouch, so I should tell her it will be around $40? That is funny. I think it was Ron Howard who has a video on planning where he says it will be about $1 per node. Maybe I saw that somewhere else?? Anyway, looking at my first show to be around $2000. That is why I am trying to be very accurate and maximize the limitation.

Mark-H

New elf
OK, so after after an Ah-Ha moment it dawned on me to just adjust the pixel area being displayed in the layout. Wanting to see what different effects look like on different height and pixel density trees I made it 1000 x 1000 pixels. While the trees them selves are just on a black screen I can size them in the correct height to width ratio. 8ft high x 5 ft wide tree is easily viewed at 2x so 16pixels high x 10 pixels wide. Playing with this I am looking at reducing the bottom diameter to help increase the pixel density of the tree on those with 16 or 24 strands (180 degree).
In the layout with the image of the house in its natural HxW ratio I am at 1:1.78. Just use these as multipliers after placing the tree or any other prop in the layout. I know the tree will be either 8ft or 10ft high for my first year 2018. I will place a ladder at the location of the tree with something extending to my final height. Then when I place the tree in Layout I can control the height and multiply the ratio to find the width.
Funny how things become real easy when you finally understand how they work.