Hello all.

Richie53

New elf
I am new to this hobby and running into many problems. I have a problem with pixels in odd places that come on and stay on even when the controllers are just on, not active. All the pixels are good when tested on individual props, but testing from FPP or Xlights or even running a sequence, there are pixels that do not light up. Any ideas where to start? Anything helps. Thanks for listening, Richie.

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Welcome! Something you should understand is that, with most controllers, your pixels have power at all times. That means that fiddling with the connection can cause them to come on, and they won't turn off until they receive a data signal telling them to do so. Have you tried turning on test mode for all your pixels, then turning it back off? There's a good chance that will work. If not, you may have to start searching for loose connections or damaged wires, etc.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Agree w/ @CargoLights - the pixels being on when they should be off is usually a red herring... controller didn't send them black yet. Focus on figuring out why they are not getting sent data when the controller is running. Did you push configurations to the controllers, etc.?

There are logical places to start troubleshooting, but it depends on your configuration a bit, what you have available for tools, etc., and you didn't tell us that. Having someone help you interactively (in person, or zoom), often moves the process along more quickly, but if you have some of those details we'll be happy to review them here or in the chatroom.

Richie53

New elf
I am running an F16V3 with one smart controller, FPP version 7.3.1, an F16V4 with one smart receiver. Hope this helps. If I forgot anything just let me know.
Thanks, Richie

merryoncherry

Senior elf
So you are giving xLights full control over port config, and pushing the port configuration to the controllers? Then testing from - the F16s, the FPP, or xLights?
If there are any concerns about the lights, rather than config, swap strings around and see if they behave the same.

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
So, some lights not coming on when you think they should and being on when you don't could be overlapping channels, try running a check sequence in xLights and see if it has any errors. Also, make sure your controller configuration is up to date, either use upload configuration or FPP Connect, then confirm on the Falcons that they show the correct props on the correct outputs. Then double-check that the ports in the visualizer match the ports everything is connected to and that the controllers are properly configured for the smart receiver and the number of pixels/channels is appropriately allocated. That will be a start.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
In these cases, I am off the mind to delete all the FPP over-lays, remove the controller out, on the f16v3 delete all the output string entries and then push all the configs again to see if everything cleared up. I agree that it's an overlapping channel issue somewhere