Hello Everyone!

assilem4791

If I rest, I rust.
I just can't wait to drain my bank account with this hobby. I'm an extreme newbie, and I have a really large garden. I am on about a 200 meter incline from the road. I live in Triangle, NY.

assilem4791

If I rest, I rust.
Ha! Draining the bank is not what I want, but I think there is no turning back for me now. I am going to start small this year, as not to get too overwhelmed. Maybe this year just outlining my house. I want to add a little every year until I have a nice, big awesome show.

Jorge Bolivar

Full time elf
Ha! Draining the bank is not what I want, but I think there is no turning back for me now. I am going to start small this year, as not to get too overwhelmed. Maybe this year just outlining my house. I want to add a little every year until I have a nice, big awesome show.
Cool! You seem to go in the right direction. We all start pretty much that way.
Using xLigths or other sequencers?

assilem4791

If I rest, I rust.
I'm using xLights. I started by downloading Light-O-Rama (free trial), but then found xLights. At first, I was frustrated with xLights because it wasn't as intuitive as LOR, but after watching the 4 part sequencing tutorial on YouTube, now I like xLights much more than LOR, and it's FREE, which is the singular part of this fun hobby that won't make your credit card cry. :)

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome Melissa! Sounds like you're diving head first into the hobby.
Music can be purchased from the likes of Amazon Music, Apple or Google Play I believe still in US, but many services are moving towards streaming now so less ways to LEGALLY obtain the music...

TerryK

Retired Elf
Where do you usually find your music (assuming you do musical sequencing)?
It is a grey area of fair market use but I obtain what I'm after from YouTube using a Media Human (YoutubeToMP3) download or 'rip' from CDs in my library. There are other utilities that one can use but I have only used MH. I use Audacity for editing.
Welcome to ACL by the way (I noticed your other post). If not already download and read ACL's 101 Manual. a lot of info there. Cheers.

tonys

New elf
Bandcamp is also a good option for downloads. More of the fee goes directly to the writers and artists. Ripping songs from YouTube is not only legally questionable, it deprives songwriters, performing artists and musicians of their income. Creating and producing a Christmas song can involve hundreds of hours of work. I don't think asking 0.99 cents for the right to use that property forever is asking too much. Personally, I would rather send people a free copy if it stops them ripping it from YT

assilem4791

If I rest, I rust.
Bandcamp is also a good option for downloads. More of the fee goes directly to the writers and artists. Ripping songs from YouTube is not only legally questionable, it deprives songwriters, performing artists and musicians of their income. Creating and producing a Christmas song can involve hundreds of hours of work. I don't think asking 0.99 cents for the right to use that property forever is asking too much. Personally, I would rather send people a free copy if it stops them ripping it from YT
Thanks! I'll check out bandcamp. That's a new one for me.