Hello from Bathurst NSW

stevelee

Apprentice elf
Hello everyone,

I'm Steve, live in Bathurst NSW.

I've been a qualified sparky for over 15yrs now, but have never really put up christmas lights (unless solar strings from bunnings count?). After driving around town this year I've decided it must be time to get into it, and the kids will love putting them up and watching them.

For next year, I think something simple as I can't out do the people across the road on the first year. Eventually, I'd like to sync it to music with singing faces, LED matrices, mega tree etc, but baby steps first. I'd even like to build my own props.

I'm yet to read the 101, but if anyone has good tips on where to start I'd be interested.

Cheers
Steve

Elecgreg

New elf
you have begun with the right spot read the 101 and take the time to view a few behind the seen vids to see what some others who are way ahead of where you are current are but you may then have an idea of what you will be letting yourself in for not to mention that some use boom lifts for putting up lights and start around early November getting there lights in place. so it all come to that one thing we don't like to talk about is the bottom line how much DIY do you want to do and what are you willing to spend both money and time.

The best reward is you and your family will get the joy of seeing a finished product no matter how small or big it is and you enjoy doing it or it is not worth that investment.

Other than research once you choose you system to use it probably is best to stick with one system of control in the field you also have the decision between what control system you set your light show in there are a couple of free programs I myself has chosen to use Xlights however there is also Vixen and then those that cost you money to by and come with there own control boxes.

Just research and if you need help ask in the forum or even on the chat somebody will have an answer. In the 101 you will find links to other forum sites as well also there is a wiki on this site with some good info as well.

Blink Blink before you know it will be time to set up for 2021

Greg

bijayvadakel

New elf
Hello everyone,

I'm Steve, live in Bathurst NSW.

I've been a qualified sparky for over 15yrs now, but have never really put up christmas lights (unless solar strings from bunnings count?). After driving around town this year I've decided it must be time to get into it, and the kids will love putting them up and watching them.

For next year, I think something simple as I can't out do the people across the road on the first year. Eventually, I'd like to sync it to music with singing faces, LED matrices, mega tree etc, but baby steps first. I'd even like to build my own props.

I'm yet to read the 101, but if anyone has good tips on where to start I'd be interested.

Cheers
Steve

hi steve,

I am from orange and work in Bathurst. I am a registered nurse looking to getting into the pixel world from next year. I am thinking of making a mega tree for my first year. I know it will sound like a bit ambitious for a nurse ( with no electronic background ) for the first year. I am planning to buy a controller form Kulp and some led stings to test a few things first. if everything goes well I will start building a mega tree and hopefully, finish before next Christmas.
i have done quite a bit if reading and would be really interested to team up so that we can be helpful to each other.

let me know your thoughts.

bijay

Michael Evans

New elf
The best thing to do at the moment would be to try and catch someone's show and ask them to give you a walk through with them before they pull it down for the year. Jason in Bathurst would be perfect as he is nearby.

The only other shows I am aware of close to Bathurst is Dave's in Lithgow who has a wealth of knowledge and experience and my show in Oberon although they are both more than half an hour drive away.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Bathurst, Orange, Oberon, Gee those sound close :)

Welcome guys, always willing to have a chat here, but alas my lights have started coming down. I can still show controllers, setups etc even though the lights are down.