Hello from Boston , Ma USA

Mikeys

New elf
Hello group, my name is Mike and I’m from just south of Boston , Ma in the USA. I have decided that I want to do some permanent Ws2812b strip lighting on the exterior of my house roof line in the aluminum u track with diffuser, the power supplys and controllers would be indoors in a vented enclosure. I’ve done quite a bit of research but have just found this group which seems to have a wealth of information. I will mostly use the search for previous post but more than likely will have some follow up questions. The group seems very informative and welcoming to new members and for that I say thank you. If anyone knows of any quality write up using the material described above and would care to share links , I would greatly appreciate that. I hope everyone has a phenomenal happy, and healthy new year. Thanks for having me , I’m glad to be aboard

Mikeys

New elf
Hello terry thank you for the reply I appreciate you taking the time. That pretty much what I have, I got 30@ 2 meters. I’m thinking my whole setup will be around 180’. That will be the sides and front of my house. I have been researching the hell out of this as electric is not my forte, I build houses. I do have some experience with basic wiring though. What do you think about if I pre assembled all my sections and stuck my power injection wire to the back and put it all in shrink wrap tubing? I know this would make repairs problematic but I suppose I could just cut out the section needing repair and then reinstall tubing prior to soldering final connection.

TerryK

Retired Elf
180 feet is a bit short of 55 meter and with 30 LEDs per meter that is approximately 1650 pixels. That's too long of a strand for any controller I know of so it will need divided either in halves or thirds. That means a controller with several ports or several controllers.

Power injection and drive levels are related so in a soffit for ambience lighting (?) I can only guess but would think indirect viewing something around 75%. I have not experimented with WS2812s either so loosely comparing them to the WS2815s I've toyed with, my best estimate of power injection is every 4 to 5 meter.
Chinese specifications being rather vague, best as I can read the WS2812B spec sheet, 100% White these would look to be pulling slightly less than 40 mA per pixel (.04 Amp each). There is/was an earlier model of the WS2812 which spec-wise was .06 Amp each 100% White. 1650 pixels at 100% White then requires a supply capacity of 66 Amp. If you can determine that a lesser drive level or 1 or 2 colors work then the amperage requirement will decrease pretty much in proportion.

Pre-building sections would work as would clear heatshrink. Strip can be purchased as either IP30, IP65, or IP68 protection and liquid-proof connectors can be obtained too. Somewhere in there repairs go from relatively easy to downright painful.

Last edited: