Hello from Michigan

MiKiwiLights

New elf
Greetings all, I am an ex-pat Kiwi now living in Michigan, USA.
Early January this year I asked the missus a crazy question. I asked here if she'd be interested in having an over-the-top Christmas light show this year. Knowing her feelings on holiday displays I knew the answer would be yes. I was not ready for her to say yes but she wants it to be out of this world.
Currently my display consists of a single string of 5v pixels laid out in a 5 x 10 mini matrix powered by a Raspberry Pi Zero W running FPP. Figured this would be a good way to learn the ins and outs of setups and learning xLights. Works great and I have a nice mood light next to my chair.
Currently waiting on delivery of the Falcon F48 and several Differential Receivers and what I'm thinking will be the first of many orders of LED Pixels and props.

Now to sit back and read the AusChristmasLighting 101 manual. (I can see myself going back to this resource often!)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I think you'll need more than your 5x10 mini matrix to go over the top :D
Welcome to ACL. If you're ever needing more advice than you can glean from the 101 then the forum and chat are always great go to places.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Welcome to ACL!
Good to have another Kiwi, even if they're in the USA.
One bonus to not need currency exchange :).

I'll leave my message on a controversial line;
Why 5v? Go big or go home! 12v!! :D
Even though US power sucks being on 110v! :p NZ is bigger and better on power delivery efficiency. ;)

MiKiwiLights

New elf
Thank you all, to be honest I was a little nervous posting here being a Kiwi in America posting to an Aussie forum! LOL ;)

Yeah, I think 50 pixels is a little lackluster in the display department. However it is a start and where can I go from here but up up and away! LOL. I do have some pixels coming for arches. Should be here in a couple of weeks. Oh, I fully expect to have a mix of 5v and 12v pixels in my display. I just got a cheap string to see how it all goes together.

Ezellner, do you have any video of your display? I'd love to see it. I'm in the Flint area but outside of the lead effected area. I may lean on you later on in the year (But not to hard. )

MiKiwiLights

New elf
Good point about the 20 amp outlet. I am lucky enough to have a 50Amp RV Outlet I can use.
Going to be able to start working on my props soon. My first delivery of LED's are scheduled to be delivered today. Starting off with arches.

Oh, and the display looks great to. I'll be happy with my lights blinking on and off! LOL.

ICon

New elf
Welcome

Plenty of Kiwis lurking around the forum, I started with a 5v matrix made of led strip and used that for learning. like many hobbies there are the debates about 5v vs 12v, strip vs bullet.... nobody cares when they see your display as they are all blinky lights. Just enjoy the journey and work out what works for you.

My matrix was only really a proof of concept in 2018, with a hand build espixelstick controller.

2019 I bought a falcon controller, and the matrix was put on the house after the outlines , a star, a wreath and spiral trees. The 2020 plan is progressing... large matrix in progress, and mega tree in planning.