Hello from new member

bakerlights

New elf
Hello, My name is Steve. I am planning a 2013 display in Amelia, VA. I am looking at several of the Christmas light forums for light/decorating ideas. I am planning on using the Lynx equipment from RJ on DLA. Currently planning on a 17' RGB pixel Mega-tree, Northstar and then controlling existing 110v lights / led lights / inflatable items. I have seen a lot of good ideas on the forums and look forward to building this year.

Steve.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Steve

If you have found it yet the AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource

Lots of friendly people here will be glad to help make your RGB ideas come to life.

Be warned :
Joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
Steve, Welcome to the ACL forum.
I am a little south of you, in Louisiana.
Wait on the equipment choices till you have had some time in this forum talking to the guys & Gals.
Check out all the PDF files on the different items you are gonna be dealing with, that have been posted. You have plenty of time for that.
You may find after you gain a little more knowledge that you will decide on some other types of controllers to work with.
I started out last year with only LOR stuff. This past year (2012) I was using LOR, DMX & E1.31 controllers.
Give your self a little time for this...

Hope to see you in the chat room...
(oldmanfathertime1000)

MacThomas76

Animated Shows since 2012
Welcome to ACL, Steve! I'm relatively close to you in Richmond, VA. I just joined ACL a couple weeks ago, and Bird is right...the ACL 101 Manual is a great resource. 2012 was my first year doing an animated display....9500 lights and 64 channels of LOR (LightORama). No pixels for me in 2012, but I have a really good handle on it now after doing some research on here and may be adding them this year as well.

This is such a great forum, tons of info, and lots of very nice people to help and encourage you!

Welcome!
-Thomas

bakerlights

New elf
MacThomas76 said:
Welcome to ACL, Steve! I'm relatively close to you in Richmond, VA. I just joined ACL a couple weeks ago, and Bird is right...the ACL 101 Manual is a great resource. 2012 was my first year doing an animated display....9500 lights and 64 channels of LOR (LightORama). No pixels for me in 2012, but I have a really good handle on it now after doing some research on here and may be adding them this year as well.

This is such a great forum, tons of info, and lots of very nice people to help and encourage you!

Welcome!
-Thomas

I work in downtown Richmond occasionally, what got me started this year is I have a friend out here in Amelia that did a light show and my wife saw it, she was exited and wanted to one also. He is using LOR equipment, I had looked at their stuff, but I am more inclined to build the boards myself also, I have have worked with DMX theater lighting over the years with different theaters and church's. I think I saw your video online for your show this year... My wife and I decide that we would focus on two or three major items this year and incorporate our existing static lights into it that way we can try to keep the cost to a reasonable level and build up from that. I really like the idea of using the Pixel RGB lights that is what i am leaning towards for the Mega-Tree, part of my view for the Mega-tree setup is to be able to use the strings from the tree on a vertical matrix on other holidays, such as 4th of July to put a flag on it or other pictures.. I have been reading a lot on several different forums and really like how everyone is willing to share their ideas.

Steve