Hello from Oklahoma

ki5gln

New elf
Hello (Cheers)
Just an old trucker here learning how to make a light show for year around enjoyment for my grandkids. Due to my work schedule, it will take a while, but all we have is time. Hope I can figure all this out and build something that will last a long time for friends and family. Wish me luck, I will need it.

Welcome! I am from Tulsa and would be more than happy to get together to figure this out. Let me know if you’re in my area. I am putting together a small show for this, my first year, with Christmas lights. Again, welcome you will definitely learn a lot from this group.

ki5gln

New elf
I have bought the following. I think I might have bought things I cant use. Most bought before I found this site.
Should I just suck up the loss and start fresh or is there use for this gear.
Thanks for any help given
Controllers
san devices E682 16 CHANNEL 12V OR 5V DC only smart control I think
and
XDMX8 8 CHANNEL DMX DIMMER (120V AC). SEASONAL ENTERTAINMENT
and
2 QJ- 30CHDMX-20140730 30 CHANNEL I believe are dumb led controllers from

Lights(LED)
many 12v 4 wire strip led lights that are dumb. have small ic 151 and 331. from eBay
and
ALITOVE 500pcs WS2811 Individually Addressable RGB LED Pixels Light 12mm Round Diffused Digital Color Changing LED Module Light for LED Screen Outdoor Advertising Board Signs DC 12V IP68 Waterproof. from Amazon
and
GELRHONR 1 Pair XLR 3pin to RJ45 Female Adapter Cable, XLR Male to RJ45 Network Connector Extension Cable Use Cat5 Ethernet for DMX-CON Controller Series-1.1Ft. from Amazon

ki5gln

New elf
Welcome! I am from Tulsa and would be more than happy to get together to figure this out. Let me know if you’re in my area. I am putting together a small show for this, my first year, with Christmas lights. Again, welcome you will definitely learn a lot from this group.
I have posted under my original post what I have spent money on. I think I may have bought stuff I cant use. Thanks for your time if you can look and advise.

TerryK

Retired Elf
First, a product link or model number will help us have a better idea of what exactly you purchased. If you could include those please.

Several of the devices you listed are DMX pixel drivers and there are a number of controllers that can output DMX data. Falcons for example which I use. As you mentioned and as best as I can determine based on web searches, the listed devices seem designed to drive most likely dumb pixels. But still they should be capable of various intensities and colors, just for the entire strip, not the individual pixels in the strip.
The Gelrhonr adapters may be usable as Falcon DMX connectors are RJ45 not the XLR. So perhaps if the wiring aligns correctly, only on the one end, not both ends.
The Alitove pixels may be similar if not the exact same type I previously purchased on Amazon. They will work fine, they just need some additional power injection as the wire size is smaller than what is generally preferred. Still have, still use them, have just moved to better pixels as I moved up the 'learning curve'. Pixel spacing is also a bit short for some props. The Alitove's pixel spacing, at least mine, were 3 inch. 4 inch spacing is better I think.

Whether you resell, trash, shelf, or use the devices, keep in mind everyone's display is unique to its designer, you. Mixed displays of dumb and intelligent pixels including traditional AC lights are common.