Hello from Perth.

Binkles

Full time elf
Hello everyone.

I've been looking at doing lights for years, and well, lets just say I've finally decided with my daughter growing up, I'm looking at doing a display for next year. Having said that, I want to try and get started right away.

I've looked at some of the boards around, and noticed that the renard isn't that popular here in Australia, but it does look like a flexible option, and a bit easier to understand for the beginner.

Reason I see it that was is because the other options look more at pixels, and that's probably a bit hard for me to grasp what is needed, and of course the initial outlay with some of the boards being rather expensive, as well as the lights.

I've looked at our house, and was thinking of 3 or 4 arches, mini trees, as well as a number of lines, and icicles to make up my first display for 2013. I would like to do a pixel tree that I've seen, but that's a wee way off.

Anyways, I look forward to any help and advice you give, or I read.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Ive got a mix of pixels run off 7 x J1sys Pixad8's and the rest being a mix of Big W, KMart, Bunnings & RGB (non pixel) run of 12 x AVD 48's they are great never have a problem with them would recommend them highly. AAH now has some 60Ch boards too but haven't used them yet.

Binkles

Full time elf
Thanks for the welcome, I have read the manual a couple of times as I learn more stuff, I understand it more.

Will definitely look into the avd48's

burner

Full time elf
Also worth a mention, is to look out for the Perth mini (little expo), which is usually held around June/July.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome28.gif

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Binkles

You are already doing what is best, read the manual, listen and pickup a little, read manual again, etc. It will all start to fall into place.
Many excellent people will help you finish filling in any blanks you may have before you start spending money.

In the most simple terms, in my opinion using LOR, lights are lights, be it a string or RGB strip. The complexity comes in when you start sequencing and that complexity consists of time involved.

No matter which route you take string or RGB, I also suggest attending your local lighting mini if possible. They are extremely helpfully.