Hello from the Noob

EvoBora

New elf
Wanted to say Hello to the community. Think I’m ready to start making some decisions on where to go next. Just finished reading the 101 guide for the second time. Unfortunately my house is not in the view of the main street So I’ll have to stick with Halloween and internal lights. To get my feet wet I thought about using a pi with pi cap and falcon player. I’m still trying to decide do I do 5v or 12v. From what I understand I don’t need a big controller if I just use a pi.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL (after more than 6 months). Using a pi and a cap/cape/hat is an easy option and allows an easy standalone show.
Not in view from a street or just the main street? As long as it's viewable if you put up lights you'll get people to see it.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Welcome. I suggest also researching ACL's Forum and Media archives. Both are searchable and one can find a lot of thoughts/comments on the various aspects of lighting. Note that for 12 Volt strings there are resistor or regulated types available. There are pros/cons to 5 Volt versus either 12 Volt type as well as string versus strip.

Unless you reside back a long lane/driveway or a single residence cul-de-sac any exterior display is bound at attract attention. Most individuals do begin fairly small and grow as time passes. Cheers.

EvoBora

New elf
Thank you for the advice. As for the house I live off the Main Street down a small drive way between two houses so nobody would really see anything. Reason I though Halloween would be good is because we do get some kids at the door.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Thank you for the advice. As for the house I live off the Main Street down a small drive way between two houses so nobody would really see anything. Reason I though Halloween would be good is because we do get some kids at the door.
Sounds like it's time to move ;)