Hello from Wellard, Western Australia

sackboy

New elf
Hi there,

It was suggested that I do a bit of an introduction about myself, so here I am!

I am an Audio Visual Integrator from Western Australia.

For the past 15 years I have been heavily involved with commercial projects as a commissioner, service technician, and more recently as an engineer.

I have studied in basic computer hardware, electronics, audio production and Telecommunications.

I have worked in a wide range of technologies related to my industry including the early days of ISDN and I.P based video conferencing, digital court recordings, RGB to HDMI video technologies, I.P and analogue based audio and more recently modern Teams and BYOD.

I have helped fitout and commission Boardrooms, Courts, Minesites, Prisons, Theatres, Classrooms, Large Gym and Recreation complex’s for many large and well known corporations and government bodies.

I have also had a stint working as a live sound technician in events and shows, this included some larger venues around Perth, and working in America for Carnival Cruise Lines on one of their ships.

I became interested in Xlights a few years ago when my family and I would drive around the local suburbs looking for larger Christmas lights displays. My interest peaked when we found a display in Baldivis which had LED walls and Mega Trees, something none of us had seen before.
We researched more houses in the area, and I became fascinated by the idea of this type of show automation.

I have finally decided to take the first step by prototyping some equipment at home in order to get a feel for the environment, technologies, and the challenges ahead!

someoneAUS

Apprentice elf
Generous elf

sackboy

New elf
Welcome down the rabbit hole. I found the best thing to do was to go visit someones display in person and ask some questions. Unfortunately, most people have packed down by now or I suspect like me will be doing it this weekend. LED walls, a mega tree and Baldivis... sounds like @paullyxmas76 to me. You are in luck as he also supplies a fair bit of the required stuff to get started.

I think you’re right, I remember having a chat with him last year.

We’ve already done the rounds of the Christmas lights this, and it’s back to work soon ☹️.

I had a look behind the scenes at a house near Atwell (I think) which was enlightening!

Also saw an awesome setup near Clarkson!

A lot of the types of equipment is familiar to me, but the implementation and software is a new beast.

I remember playing with some DMX and SMPTE time code systems back in the day for live show automation at that was mind blowing even back then!

Last edited:

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Great to see another Perth person :) We are slowly getting more and more displays happening which is great to see.

You have a really strong tech background so you will do fine, just figuring out the early steps takes some time. There normally is a Perth Mini in May/June time where quite a few people get together to talk about lights. Very fun day. I really enjoyed my first time last year.

Reach out if you have any questions, i'm still new, but i feel once you have done one year you know enough to point people in the right direction.

sackboy

New elf
Great to see another Perth person :) We are slowly getting more and more displays happening which is great to see.

You have a really strong tech background so you will do fine, just figuring out the early steps takes some time. There normally is a Perth Mini in May/June time where quite a few people get together to talk about lights. Very fun day. I really enjoyed my first time last year.

Reach out if you have any questions, i'm still new, but i feel once you have done one year you know enough to point people in the right direction.
Hi Johnnyboy, good to hear from you!

The interesting part is the people I’ve spoken to and met so far aren’t from backgrounds like myself! There seems to be a diverse range of people from all kinds of backgrounds which has been interesting to find out.

It’s good to know that there is a growing community in Perth of like minded people getting into this hobby!

I’ve already figured out how to create a Virtual LED matrix with FPP, but ultimately I would like to send “un-pixelated” video and Intergrate in a true led video wall or possibly projection.
I’ve been testing out the singing ghost in Xlights, and as these use 99 pixels I feel these are a good starting project (already got them singing the “Monster Mash” in Xlights!).