Hello Peoples

Tynkerbelle

New elf
Hi from Queensland Australia. I’m new. I am really excited to try and start syncing my Christmas lights display to music this year. But I’m not sure where to start. Do I need special lights or can I use all the LED ones I already

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Welcome @Tynkerbelle
Read up on the ACL 101 manual. https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/auschristmaslighting-101-manual.1889/.

- As I saw a comment on a newbie's Facebook post:
"Hope your single, rich, and have a full liquor cabinet."

Read up, study, study, plan and repeat. Make sure you know what you're wanting before you spend money!

You certainly can use your current lights, just depends on the road to new lights you're wanting to take.
A cheap method I can think of is a DMX controller to switch low voltage strings and then connect this to a computer running any Christmas lighting animation software.
If you're wanting to take the extreme pixel display approach in the future then this system will still work in harmony.

Let us know what you have and how you're wanting to achieve your goal. The more information we have, the better.

Enjoy the community.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
The Wiki has some helpful stuff too, the Suppliers page has links to controllers, lights and sequence vendors.

For existing lights (the "Big W" type) @AAH of Hanson Electronics sells controllers for them.

Otherwise, you go to LED pixels (like most people here) and all the time effort and money that entails :D