Help a newbie

iancooper65

New elf
Hi, I brought some lights from Aliexpress, and made a mistake. I ordered 2 sets of 5 lights instead of 10 single sets. They only came with 2 plugs instead of the 10 I need to make them flash independently. They have a EU plug at 220v AC, on one end and a 3 pin round plug which goes into the icicle lights at the other. Does anyone know where I can buy some from, as the seller doesn't sell them separately. If not can I do some modification to the lights.

orchidman33

Full time elf
Bunnings will most likley sell a travel adapotor - EU to Aussie, or if you feel competent a standard 3pin plug could replace your 2pin

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Are the lights 240V lights or is there a plugpack in between? If they are 240 are they like the common ebay and aliexpress ones with really poor insulation that isn't anything like the rating that it should be for 240V. If the lights aren't 100% sealed then when they are exposed to rain/snow then you could risk electrocution.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Thanks not sure what the white thing in the middle does
The white thing in the middle is quite possibly 1 of 2 things. It's either a ferrite bead to reduce conducted electrical noise getting back into the mains or else it's a bridge rectifier which changes the AC mains to a pulsed DC signal which reduces flicker a bit.

iancooper65

New elf
The white thing in the middle is quite possibly 1 of 2 things. It's either a ferrite bead to reduce conducted electrical noise getting back into the mains or else it's a bridge rectifier which changes the AC mains to a pulsed DC signal which reduces flicker a bit.
Thanks for the information. I think I will just keep them static for this year, and plan all year next year for a better display

iancooper65

New elf
Are the lights 240V lights or is there a plugpack in between? If they are 240 are they like the common ebay and aliexpress ones with really poor insulation that isn't anything like the rating that it should be for 240V. If the lights aren't 100% sealed then when they are exposed to rain/snow then you could risk electrocution.
They were the cheap ones on AliExpress. I will make sure to insulate everything.