Help getting 9 strands of 500 lights 2 channel 2 wire working with DMX2-18

boofo

New elf
Hey All

Feeling a bit stupid but I can't get these lights controlled with the Hanson DMX2-18 controller.
Main objective is to sync all the lights with a twinkle effect but am definitely interested in pushing the limits if it can do more.

@OzAz tells me perhaps @speedy1 or @christmasdave may be able to shed some light on this... or perhaps @AAH maybe you could offer some directions
Things done so far...

1. Got Power supply / USB DMX Adaptor and Computer talking to the lights (kinda)
2. All lights test fine with da_tester
3. Assuming xLights is the best software to control these I just can't seem to add the lights correctly.
4. xLights is set up with the controller I assume correctly as data transmits to the DMX2-18 controller and the data light flashes as though it's receiving data.
5. xLights is super confusing and I'm fairly tech savvy (I like to think)
6. Images of xLights and hardware setup (excuse the lights haven't plugged all in yet
7. At some stage I got some control in the sequence window but now lost that

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Brent

Layout of house last year
Roof daytime.jpg
Lights last year
Santa roof.jpg

Testing right now

Software setup
Controller setup.png
Controller setup 2.png
Controller setup 3.png
Controller setup 4.png

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
On the screenshot where you are configuring string 1 I am pretty sure that there's no need to put 6 as the port. This is a pixel controller type setting.
I configure my own 2 wire lights (which are icicles) as a custom model and I offset the channels horizontally and vertically so that 1 channel will turn on before the other as sweeps etc go across/down the house. The below pic is 8 strings of 2 wire icicles in 2 row from my display that are way up in channels. In your case you'd use 1-18.
Under string properties you can either set them to single colour (I usually just set them to white) or if you want to get fancy and do a semi colour match you can fiddle with playing with the super string setting.
With the 2 props that you have configured it has pushed the channels out past the 18 that you have.
Picture1.jpg

You know where to find me. I always prefer for people to reach out to me rather be stuck in the dark. A few minutes with teamviewer is often all it takes to get going. The zoom room is also awesome but I'm hardly ever on there and also rarely make it into chat these days.

boofo

New elf
Thanks Alan for your help

I have now removed the extra custom and done the following, could you advise where I'm going wrong?
I just can't even seem to test the lights in xlights... note I have set port to 0 and to 6 but both actually transmit to the DMX and the data light flashes but lights don't turn on or off

Kind regards
Brent

1637467185905.png

AAH

If you go into xlights test mode do the lights light up?

christmasdave

Full time elf
I've got mine one connected to my Advatek controller so not sure I can help much with the xLights side of things there as you are doing it 'direct' if I understand correctly, plus Alan is the guru of these and he has the best knowledge!
As far as the layout, I'm placing each 'channel set' that I want to control as a DMX model (not sure if intended this way, but works for me). So for example, I have a DMX model for channels 1-2, one for 3-4, one for 5-8, etc, and then use the visualise option in the controller tab to place them. I'm also not worried about sweeping effects as that's not how I'm using them.

Example of how I have one of the models setup below:

The channel assignment I don't think is actually required, as white always turns them both on, but even with 9 channel selected on the board itself, I can still turn each 'channel' on and off this way, and then I just use whatever effect in the sequencing I want, whether it's on, DMX or something else. I'm still working out how to do that part well though.

Nativity1.png

boofo

New elf
Thanks for the heads up Dave I will have a play with that. Really all I'm attempting for this Christmas is a twinkle effect.

I do have a raspberry pi available but will also have a look at the Advatek but probably too late to get it shipped for this weekend.

Appreciate your input.

christmasdave

Full time elf
Thanks for the heads up Dave I will have a play with that. Really all I'm attempting for this Christmas is a twinkle effect.

I do have a raspberry pi available but will also have a look at the Advatek but probably too late to get it shipped for this weekend.

Appreciate your input.
As you're only using the 2string type lights and no pixels, the Advatek would a bit overkill tbh, (and an expensive option too for something you wont really use), so I wouldnt go down that path yet (unless you really want to of course!)

boofo

New elf
Thanks again yeah looked at them and big jump in cost. Trying to keep it low this year and splurge next year for something much cooler

AAH

Thanks again yeah looked at them and big jump in cost. Trying to keep it low this year and splurge next year for something much cooler
If you're free for a teamviewer session at any stage Tuesday give me a buzz and I'll see if we can get you going. Between 4 and 5 AEDST will be a no go do to packing and shipping stuff but the rest of day and evening I'm fairly free. Phone num is on invoice, back of all my user manuals and probably also buried on my site somewhere.

boofo

New elf
Thanks Alan I will take you up on that and owe you a bottle of your choice of poison.

I'm up early mate from 6am. I will shoot you an SMS now just so you have my number and if early suits tomorrow then shoot me a SMS and I'll call you back.

AAH

We're all sorted. About 2 minutes on teamviewer and boofo was up and going.
When asked what I drink I had to confess that it was Pepsi Max and that's about it. The slab of Cascade light I bought at the end of 2019 is perhaps near it's use by date. I am onto the second 6 pack out of it though.

boofo

New elf
Alan... what a legend. Simple misunderstanding on how the sequence was loaded.

He gave me a quick rundown on the functions and I am now twinkling like a pro.

I am playing with morph and blur settings to tweak it even further.

Appreciate your help Alan and will post a small movie online once the fence and remainder of roof is installed.

boofo

New elf
Here you go guys. Got another 300 letters to add but looking good 🤙

Attachments

• 68F09EEE-58DA-400E-9155-E61F5FC4024E.jpeg
    68F09EEE-58DA-400E-9155-E61F5FC4024E.jpeg
    707.8 KB · Views: 38
This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.