Help me plan this out right - new display element

robj

New elf
I'm building an RGB Pixel display element and want to make sure I structure it right in HLS for efficient programming.

It will be a star with 8 legs all radiating out from a central point. The star is made up of a string of 240 pixels, cut into those 8 segments. Leg 1 is pixels 1-30, Leg 2 is 31-60, Leg 3 is 61-90, etc. At the end of each string I've run the data lines back down to the beginning of the next string. Electrically, I'm done and now I'm thinking about sequencing.

I've set up all 240 channels in HLS. This will let me do raw stuff like twinkling, fancy chases, etc. Complete control there.

I've also grouped 30 pixels into an 8 elements called "leg n" where n is 1-8 so that if I'm doing something to a spoke or leg of the star all at once, I can sequence the whole spoke as one pixel. That will let me flash the entire star easily, "spin" the legs by sequencing them one after another, etc.

I'm considering assigning some virtual concentric rings so that I can have the star pulse from the center outward all at once, grouping in 5 pixel bands, making six rings to pulse in or out. How do I make that 3rd display group that has pixels 1-5 for each spoke as ring 1, pixels 6-10 for each spoke as ring 2, etc? This will make the pulsing, etc much easier I believe than sequencing it at the single pixel level, and having logical rings will help me visualize the effect easier.

Essentially, I want to make 3 different views: full pixels, spokes, and rings to ease sequencing. Does that seem like a good idea?

Also I've never done library effects. Once I have these elements and want to (1) put the star into a big display, is there an easy way to not recreate this work assigning the groups? and (2) can I bring in some standard effects for the star from a library once I've made them? Id envision storing off a pulse, spin, speed up spin, etc. I only want to work them out once and drop them into a lot of songs.

Love HLS and the pixels hobby, but have a lot to learn. Many thanks to Joe for this powerful tool!

rob

robj

New elf
Bird said:
If I picture this correctly in my mind, it sounds really cool.
Can you post a drawing of what your trying to do?

Lets see if this works for everyone. PDF attached.

Attachments

• star.pdf
    181 KB · Views: 54

Habbosrus

Back again
Sounds great robj. Very easy to do in HLS. Use "Manage Segment Channels" to create any number of segments you like. You can pick the segments you want to make and create a library of effects and drop them in any time you like. You can also make the very same channels into a PixelPlane for even more effects. You can use the HLS PixelPlane or Nutcracker effects. I have a similar element but nowhere near the amount of pixels. I have been using HLS for about 4 months now. I am always finding different ways to use it. HLS makes it very easy to do what you are asking.

Habbosrus

Back again
G'day robj, I entered the specs for your star into HLS, placed some effects onto it and made a short video. This is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg as far effects on your star go. All this only took about 1/2 hour. The longest time was placing the star onto the preview. I created the star as a PixelPlane and then used Manage Segments to create new segments. This is only a small portion to give you an idea.
https://www.box.com/s/ar18qjgoomkt3wbpqmrp

robj

New elf
Habbosrus said:
I entered the specs for your star into HLS

Steve,
[SIZE=78%],[/SIZE]
That's awesome! I probably spent as long with my silly little drawing as you did getting it up and sequenced. Love the effects too. Did you use nutcracker for some of the pixel plane effects? I've never tried it before, but the burning effect is definitely something I don't know how to do yet with HLS.

Any chance I can get you to bundle up the HLS files so I can peek at them and try to recreate?

Appreciate the time and energy you spent to help!

Rob

Habbosrus

Back again
No problem Rob. I'm doing a thorough clean up of the drive that holds HLS on my computer. As soon as it's finished I'll zip up the sequence folder and make it available to you. Some effects were Nutcracker and some were HLS. The fire looked great on the star and has given me an idea for one of my sequences, using Nutcracker 3 and layers. This will be my first year and I will only have a small amount of elements in my show (if I can purchase the hardware). Your star has set my mind on the path to elements for next year. I'm still learning HLS and sequencing too, but I'll surely help wherever and whenever I can. I have received some great help and support from this community and it's great to be able to pay it forward.
Cheers,
Steve

robj

New elf
Definitely appreciate the help. Studying your setup was very instructive!

Thanks.

Rob

Boof63

Senior elf
nice job Habbosrus, any chance of getting a copy please as i have same idea but smaller star, particulary like the fire that is very cool!!
cheers Boof63

robj

New elf
Thanks! Appreciate all your personal help with this!

robj

New elf
Ps. Colors in person are much better than my crummy video!