help needed finding set up instructions for uDCG-P2

bbayjohn

Senior elf
First of all a big thanks to Ed and Phill, I recieved my uDCG-P2.
I was very impresed when I saw it and won it at the Sydney mini.
So thanks guys.

Now onto my problem.
I searched the wiki & got 1 hit about product information and when I click on the link the information is missing. So what i need is the info on setting up my uDCG-P2 and getting it running. I could find plenty of info on the ECG-P2 & D2.
I dont mind reading and videos are great too if there are any out there. This is all new to me so go easy on me.
I am running LOR S3 advanced
Would like to run these
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC24V-WS2811-pixel-module-with-12pcs-5050-RGB-SMD-LED-100mm-diameter-20pcs-a-string/701799_580483911.html
DC24V WS2811 pixel module, with 12pcs 5050 RGB SMD LED,100mm diameter,20pcs a string
I have the 24v psu
I just need your help in putting this jigsaw puzzel together as I dont want to blow anything up again lol.

Cheers John

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
it may not be there. i think i've only sent it to the 1 or 2 people who used uDCG-P2 last year.

see attached

-Ed

Attachments

• uDCG-P2.pdf
    133.5 KB · Views: 41

adski

Dave Brown
Ed, did you get around to updating the DCG firmware? You may remember I enquired late last year about WS2811 support and a possible DMX issue. You were under a lot of pressure from the ECG community at the time, and there are clearly more than 1 or 2 of them, so I didn't want to hassle you at the time.

Dave

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Thanks Edd
Thats what I was looking for.

And thanks Yagoona lights and lithgow lights for their help in chat last night. We now have the lights operating in test mode.

WS2811-pixel-module-with-12pcs-5050-RGB-SMD-LED-100mm-diameter-20pcs-a-string

still need to work out the chanel count on this string of lights http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC24V-WS2811-pixel-module-with-12pcs-5050-RGB-SMD-LED-100mm-diameter-20pcs-a-string/701799_580483911.html
DC24V WS2811 pixel module, with 12pcs 5050 RGB SMD LED,100mm diameter,20pcs a string

So i belive this string to be 60 chanels

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Still require help.
What I have so far
from the Quick notes
7V-40v supply into P-DMX with no output to pixels
K2 open,K3 1-2,3-4, J1 open & J2 open
Bingo we have power supplied via 24v :)
Downloaded uneversal boot loader (ubl)
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2507.0.html
The uDCG-P2 IS reconized by PIC 32 bootloader Application V1.2w/J1sys Extensions v1.2a
Device connected Firmware Version 2.5
Can run a test as per previous video, so unit and lights are working fine.
to perform test
uDCG-P2 Console v1.0
cmd> network host='Test1' test=1 speed=250
cmd> network test=0
cmd> save
XML saved to flash.
cmd> reboot
Rebooting ...
cmd>
exit console, can repeat, however lights will stay on last colour.
cmd> config
uDCG-P2 Configuration
Host: Test1
MAC: 00:04:A3:00:00:00
Test: N
DMX: 250Kbps
Str 1: Y TM180X 3000Kbps U:1 S:81 P:20
Str 2: Y TM180X 3000Kbps U:1 S:141 P:123

With the above string setting, I have string 1 starting at chanel 81 to 140. So I made a quick sequence to test in LOR to run in dmx mode.
Device type = Dmx Universe ,Unit is blank, Circuit 81-140 (20 RGB chanels) There are no other controlers in this sequence.
In LOR Network configuration have set
Lor Port to none, Dmx adapter to A700eqed, protocol to raw dmx.
When I open lor control panel I get lorCommListoner.exe
30:Listener [info] listing on port 8837
32: listener [info] connection accepted <612>
710:dmx1 [info] A700eqed: raw dmx adapter opened.

Now I go to play sequence and nothing?
What can I be missing here?
I do have a cat5 crossover cable in place.

If you have a sugestion please respond, maybe its something small I have over looked.

Ask away

Many thanks
John

harrison0550

Full time elf

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Thanks for your reply Andy.
Dont see anything there I havent tried or done.
I do have playback isues and I do have a lor dongle I am using with crossover cable.
The lor listener seems to be working well.
Its probably something simple I've missed.

Cheers
John

bbayjohn

Senior elf
yep
Would appear so, control light has a tick against it.
Control holiday lights designer does not. Not sure what that is.

Cheers
John

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Holiday Light Designer is a fairly cool outdated visualiser type program that worked with LOR. I had a play with it about 2 years ago until the demo expired. Your lights were entered into a 3d type layout and you could view your display from different angles and it would also work out your power usage if you punched in all the wattage etc into it.

adski

Dave Brown
John, I have no clue about your LOR setup, but you may have the speed set too high for your 2811 pixels. It's a few months since I tested the uDCG-P2 with 2811s in TM180X mode, and I can't remember the exact failure modes, but in my case, the speed range where it "sort of" worked was 2200 to 2450, so I set it to 2325.

My ambition exceeded my capabilities last year, so I ran out of time and in the end, the pixels weren't used in anger, but the test was never really successful for me - I believe I had DMX issues (slow response, missed events etc.) but I don't know whether the problem was in the controller or DMX signal driving it. So I'm really keen to see how it works out for you.

Dave

bbayjohn

Senior elf
AAH said:
Holiday Light Designer is a fairly cool outdated visualiser type program that worked with LOR. I had a play with it about 2 years ago until the demo expired. Your lights were entered into a 3d type layout and you could view your display from different angles and it would also work out your power usage if you punched in all the wattage etc into it.

That does sound like a cool program. Also sounds like a lot of work for a demo though, was it not worth getting the full version?

bbayjohn

Senior elf
adski said:
John, I have no clue about your LOR setup, but you may have the speed set too high for your 2811 pixels. It's a few months since I tested the uDCG-P2 with 2811s in TM180X mode, and I can't remember the exact failure modes, but in my case, the speed range where it "sort of" worked was 2200 to 2450, so I set it to 2325.

My ambition exceeded my capabilities last year, so I ran out of time and in the end, the pixels weren't used in anger, but the test was never really successful for me - I believe I had DMX issues (slow response, missed events etc.) but I don't know whether the problem was in the controller or DMX signal driving it. So I'm really keen to see how it works out for you.

Dave
Thanks dave that sounds like it woud be worth trying.

cheers
John