Help wanted. What do you Google Search for?

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I understand what your saying Eddy. I guess the point I was trying to make is that when someone starts out to get into lights they are excited and keen to go. They do a quick search and only find one option that seems easy and ready to go. This is LOR at the moment. They do not understand what they need but will be impatient to get something. I just see this as an opportunity for someone else to come in with competition. You would not need to compete with the chinese prices initially, just LOR prices. Then once people have got your gear and probably found out more information from forums etc then they have a decision to make. Do they stick with the local gear they already have some of or do they get the cheaper stuff. My guess would be a combination of both.

Gives you a toe in through the beginners and also gives you a chance to have people see the quality/ease of operation of your gear before they just think of price alone. Of course the hassle with that is say you buy the gear in June you don't really get to see the quality etc for real until Christmas.

I'm guessing the corporate side of things is worth a lot more than the DIY individual sales. Not sure how many people get into lights each year. You would have a much better idea than me having been on here for longer.

multicast

Senior elf
BundyRoy said:
I understand what your saying Eddy. I guess the point I was trying to make is that when someone starts out to get into lights they are excited and keen to go. They do a quick search and only find one option that seems easy and ready to go. This is LOR at the moment. They do not understand what they need but will be impatient to get something. I just see this as an opportunity for someone else to come in with competition. You would not need to compete with the chinese prices initially, just LOR prices. Then once people have got your gear and probably found out more information from forums etc then they have a decision to make. Do they stick with the local gear they already have some of or do they get the cheaper stuff. My guess would be a combination of both.

Gives you a toe in through the beginners and also gives you a chance to have people see the quality/ease of operation of your gear before they just think of price alone. Of course the hassle with that is say you buy the gear in June you don't really get to see the quality etc for real until Christmas.

I'm guessing the corporate side of things is worth a lot more than the DIY individual sales. Not sure how many people get into lights each year. You would have a much better idea than me having been on here for longer.

Thankyou for this very helpful post. I really do appreciate what your saying here.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I guess it is easier for me to remember what the initial desires are because I am new to it all. Haven't even been through my first Christmas yet. The thing for me when I was first looking was I didn't know what I needed. I figured i needed some sort of software to program the lights and some sort of electrical gadget that hooked up to them and controlled them. Was also keen to still use my existing BigW type lights as well I guess as there is a bit of money goes into them over the years. This would of also added to the attraction of LOR as it appears to a new person that you could hook up your bigw type lights straight to one of those controllers.

After being on here for a while it has become obvious that I am not the first person to buy LOR gear initially. What I wanted though is a system that was designed to work together. There needed to be some evidence that it was a proven system. I didn't want to be hashing different bits together as I had no idea what was required or what was compatible. The software/controller packages appealed because you felt there was no risk of them not working together.

I hadn't thought about the fact that I was trying to incorporate my existing lights into the new system up until now. This will likely present a few challenges to you to overcome.

For me when looking there was like a pressure to get going. Not really the right word but not sure how to describe it. You know you are spending money on something that is purely for personal enjoyment, not usefulness. You want to ensure that you get it in enough time to learn how to use it and that you can pull off some sort of show in the end. You will never hear the end of it (from mates and wife) if you spend money on lights and don't get a show, especially if you may have mentioned your plans to others beforehand and you tend to have a bit of a competitive side ::) .

I guess what I'm saying is people starting off are keen, have some money and want to spend it. They just need to find the system that makes it easy for them.

I have only looked at your website once (there's some feedback in itself). I probably should look again as my memory is a bit vague. I seem to remember (and this applies to Eddies site as well) that I had trouble seeing how the computer got to control the controllers. It was unclear, but I seemed to get the impression that the controllers were pre-programmed or something. Basically I could see how the system worked I guess. I had just spent money the previous year getting 20m of strip lights with a controller that had 30 odd patterns (off ebay) only to be disappointed that I couldn't really control it in the end. Had to set it on one pattern or scroll through the lot. So wasn't keen to get something that replicated that.

I try not to think about but if I added up the money I had "saved" trying to get into lights without knowing what I was doing, I would have been much better off (financially and quality) going to you and getting a system straight up. There's the opportunity.

I don't mean to create any offence with my feedback on the website. It's not personal, just the way I felt when I looked. Thought it might be useful. Hopefully all of my rambling makes sense and helps you develop your plans.