HELP!! Which cables do I need? (+ A diagram)

vk3heg

Full time elf
I don't like using extension cables like that because it could be easy to confuse which lead is actually a 240v plug and which is being used for your low voltage stuff. That's just me though, each to their own, so long as you are comfortable and confident you can tell the difference.
I use extension cables, but don't use the plugs/sockets, I make sure that the 240V stuff is Yellow, and the 5/12v is White/Grey.

Easy way to tell the difference, and the Yellow is really only going into the control box's.

Add to clarify: I'm referring to the whole extension lead, not the individual cores inside.

Last edited:

Christmas30

New elf
I use extension cables, but don't use the plugs/sockets, I make sure that the 240V stuff is Yellow, and the 5/12v is White/Grey.

Easy way to tell the difference, and the Yellow is really only going into the control box(s.
You should be using blue for 240v not yellow because yellow is 110v

TerryK

Retired Elf
One needs to be careful when making specific statements especially electrical (for reasons of safety) across multiple nations. Colors considered standard in one particular country are not always valid in another. And in some cases, a color can be defined in more than a single country's definitions. For example, Red and Black are still considered valid colors for American DC but those same colors are also defined as 220 VAC Single Phase colors (along with White). And to add a bit of confusion, also 3 Phase.

To the point: I did a bit of searching but could not determine exactly how yellow is defined as a standard Australian color. Discovered a few conflicting charts actually. Perhaps someone familiar with the Australian Electrical code can clarify wire colors?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I'm going to assume he is talking about the outer insulation on extension cables when they have their ends cut off and are used for 240 and 5/12v to easily see what wire is doing what when running around the yard.

The white extension cords are usually cheap light duty indoor rated type however in this case aren't running 240v. The yellow ones tend to be a bit heavier duty so more ideal for temporary outside use.

I am fairly certain that (in NZ at least) wiring inside an appliance has no specific requirement other than green/yellow for earth but red/brown and black/dark blue I would consider live/neutral. Other colours could also be live to display a different circuit etc.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
On the topic of cables --
6 core security cable is among the best choices for cable for pixel wiring and it's also quite good for power injection wiring. It does need to be the 14/0.2 cable and not 7/0.2. That's 14 strands of 0.2mm diameter copper per core. Each core works out to 0.44mm2. When using for pixels wiring and using 3 for 0V, 2 for +ve and 1 for data you end up with 1.32mm2, 0.88mm2 and 0.44mm2. This is actually heavier duty than using standard duty 10A rated extension leads and it's a heap lighter as it doesn't have the 240V rated thick insulation on it.
Are you just wiring three wires to the one power source? Just treating them as a single wire effectively?

Does anyone have advice on good wiring to do Power Injection runs? same thing? or something else?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
On the topic of cables --

Are you just wiring three wires to the one power source? Just treating them as a single wire effectively?

Does anyone have advice on good wiring to do Power Injection runs? same thing? or something else?
Yes. 3 cores of the 6 connected to the -ve, 2 cores of the 6 connected to positive. Each of them works as a high current single conductor/wire.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Yes. 3 cores of the 6 connected to the -ve, 2 cores of the 6 connected to positive. Each of them works as a high current single conductor/wire.
Can I ask why the 3 should be -ve and not +ve?
Also — just because I’m slow — this means that those 3 -ve strands are soldered/joined to the -ve input on your lights? Or are they split to 3 different places?

AAH

The -ve is more important than the +ve as it is used as the reference volotage for the data.
The 3 and 2 wires are joined together at both ends of the cable that you make up and that joins to the pigtails or direct to the pixels or whatever it is that you are connecting to.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
The -ve is more important than the +ve as it is used as the reference volotage for the data.
The 3 and 2 wires are joined together at both ends of the cable that you make up and that joins to the pigtails or direct to the pixels or whatever it is that you are connecting to.
Thankyou so much.

Would you use the same 6-core wire 3+/3- for a power injection line? or would you recommend something else?

AAH

Thankyou so much.

Would you use the same 6-core wire 3+/3- for a power injection line? or would you recommend something else?
I use it for some of my power injection cabling. Using it as 2 conductors with 3 cores each it is actually quite heavy cable and it's quite heavy speaker cable before you get heavier cable. It's just under the equivalent of 16AWG.

Christmas30

New elf
One needs to be careful when making specific statements especially electrical (for reasons of safety) across multiple nations. Colors considered standard in one particular country are not always valid in another. And in some cases, a color can be defined in more than a single country's definitions. For example, Red and Black are still considered valid colors for American DC but those same colors are also defined as 220 VAC Single Phase colors (along with White). And to add a bit of confusion, also 3 Phase.

To the point: I did a bit of searching but could not determine exactly how yellow is defined as a standard Australian color. Discovered a few conflicting charts actually. Perhaps someone familiar with the Australian Electrical code can clarify wire colors?
TBD I didn't realise the op was from. Aus I thought like. Myself it was UK which our cable colours on outer sheath is yellow 110 blue 240 and red 415 sorry if I made the situation less clear