Help with Controllers

JerryBecker

New elf
Hello Everyone,
In September I have upgraded my show. I only had in the past a 12 ribbon CCR tree running off Alpha Pix 16 controller connected to a laptop with a static IP address with LOR software. This year I decided to jump in with both feet and added three matrix and house outline along with a Hinks pic pro main controller and two smart receivers as well. In the main controller I have two long range boards and SPI 16 on main controller and on each smart receiver. I switched to Xlights too this year. I have been successful in setting everything up and getting my sequences to work in Xlights and all the new lights on the house. Here is my issue, I can't get my CCR tree to work with the Hinks pic pro. The support in Holiday Coro is good, but I have watched so many videos at this point I am confused. I am not a computer programmer and have learned alot this past month so if my terminology isn't correct, I apologize in advance :)
Long Range 1-Port 1; Cable One runs to my first smart receiver. running the matrix panels. Port 2; Cable two runs to my house outline second smart receiver. Everything in this set up runs and works perfectly :)
Long Range 2-Future Use
SPI 16-3 outputs being used for house outline.

Here is what I set up to get my alpha pix to communicate with the hinks pic:
Long Range 1 Port Three; Cable 3 ran ethernet into the alpha pix
Configured in the Hinks pic DMX-Legacy Controller Universe 25;512 channels (saved reset etc) DID NOT WORK
Then I tried to configure everything like all the videos creating all the strings and nodes and outputs then assigning them to the correct output (save reset etc) DIDN'T WORK
Then I tried to change the static IP on the Alpha PIX the DHCP thinking that would work as it was not communication and that DIDN'T WORK. It said can't connect to the internet can't operate. I hope someone can help :) I have attached a couple pics so maybe that could help :) Thanks in advance.
The pictures are of the Alpha pix controller

Attachments

• Alpha pix 16 pic 1.jpg
    Alpha pix 16 pic 1.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Alpha pix 16 pic 2.jpg
    Alpha pix 16 pic 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 6

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I may not fully understand.

Absolutely do not plug the Alphapix into a long range port on the Hinks. The Alphapix is a controller, and takes Ethernet. The long range port is not ethernet, even though the cable is the same.

Basically, your best bet is to set up 2 controllers. The Hinks won't even know about the Alphapix, but xLights will be set up to know both IP addresses and talk to both separately.

Now, the Hinks does offer one helpful feature for you. (Depending on the build config.) It has a tiny ethernet switch built in, so you can bounce the Ethernet data along. Plug the cable from the Alphapix into there, next to the data coming into the Hinks.

Attachments

• 20231025_123915.jpg
    20231025_123915.jpg
    924.5 KB · Views: 7

merryoncherry

Senior elf
For future reference only... the "DMX Legacy Controller" stuff is for DMX flood lights, fog machines, moving heads, and Light-o-Rama A/C controllers, that sort of thing. Those attach here (do your own pinout... DMX and LoR differ).

Attachments

• 20231025_124909.jpg
    20231025_124909.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 10

JerryBecker

New elf
OMG thank you I will give that a try and see what happens. I really appreciate it :)