Help with Hinks and XLights

Paul&Wendy

New elf
Hi,
I’m in Southern California and just purchased three Hinks pro controllers and receivers. I’m basically in a mess. I’m new to this and extremely frustrated. Do you know anyone who could help? I’m totally prepared to pay someone for there time. I take instruction well
Cheers,
Paul

mr2mkii

New elf
I have the Hinks Pro as the main controller for my setup, using Xlights with it. What type of issues are you having? I recall getting the Hinks Pro setup itself wasn't too bad, but did have some issues in xLights, where I had to more directly address RGB channel starts (xlights kept assigning things outside of the controllers channel range!)

mr2mkii

New elf
@uncledan - I sense a back story there! Anything I should be concerned with? This is my first season with Holiday Coro's HinksPix, mainly because I couldn't seem to get/buy any Falcon V3/V4 boards, so I went with HinksPix. So far I've not run into any issues. (I do have some concerns though; the boxes aren't sealed (not even rubber seal included in CG-1500 case), didn't include long range board on R2R even though pic showed it (confusing -now I'm waiting on it which is back ordered), it's not conformal coated to be robust against humidity (which will find it's way in I'm sure), and didn't include the FM board and wasn't clear it was separate. Other than that their service has been good and turn-around fast.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I'll keep things nice. David Moore (owner of Holiday Coro) is a douche bag. He copies other vendors designs and sells them with little to no support(unless you pay from what I've heard). His business ethics are lacking BIG time. I would never buy anything from HC. I spent 10K my first year and will never buy anything again from them. It's a pretty common opinion in the hobby. Falcon or Kulp for the controller and Boscoyo or Gilbert Engineering for coro props. I'm sure the controllers are fine if you can find someone to help with them. I seriously don't know how he stays in business

Paul&Wendy

New elf
I'll keep things nice. David Moore (owner of Holiday Coro) is a douche bag. He copies other vendors designs and sells them with little to no support(unless you pay from what I've heard). His business ethics are lacking BIG time. I would never buy anything from HC. I spent 10K my first year and will never buy anything again from them. It's a pretty common opinion in the hobby. Falcon or Kulp for the controller and Boscoyo or Gilbert Engineering for coro props. I'm sure the controllers are fine if you can find someone to help with them. I seriously don't know how he stays in business
I appreciate the reply.

Paul&Wendy

New elf
I have the Hinks Pro as the main controller for my setup, using Xlights with it. What type of issues are you having? I recall getting the Hinks Pro setup itself wasn't too bad, but did have some issues in xLights, where I had to more directly address RGB channel starts (xlights kept assigning things outside of the controllers channel range!)
Hey,
Did you get it all working?

Paul&Wendy

New elf
I’m not really having issues with the equipment, it’s just I’m really new to this and it’s incredibly overwhelming.

mr2mkii

New elf
I'll keep things nice. David Moore (owner of Holiday Coro) is a douche bag. He copies other vendors designs...
Well, that certainly doesn't sound good... I thought Joe Hinkle actually designed the boards? I've probably invested 1.5k with them so far, have 3 of their long range boards (including AC), so I'm fairly committed at this point. We'll see how this year goes, and look into Falcon for next year... just wish they had some available but I waited too long this year...

I’m not really having issues with the equipment, it’s just I’m really new to this and it’s incredibly overwhelming.
I certainly understand... I started this Halloween and it's certainly a learning curve. (More on the xlights side for me.) Now i have; Roofline Strips, 2 Snowflakes, 3 bullet windows, a 12-Strip Mega Tree & Star, 2 bullet spiral trees, 2 arches, and 10 AC controlled Dumb lights. That said, I'm an EE, and run my own servers, so a large portion of this is easier for me than most.

Paul&Wendy

New elf
Well, that certainly doesn't sound good... I thought Joe Hinkle actually designed the boards? I've probably invested 1.5k with them so far, have 3 of their long range boards (including AC), so I'm fairly committed at this point. We'll see how this year goes, and look into Falcon for next year... just wish they had some available but I waited too long this year...

I certainly understand... I started this Halloween and it's certainly a learning curve. (More on the xlights side for me.) Now i have; Roofline Strips, 2 Snowflakes, 3 bullet windows, a 12-Strip Mega Tree & Star, 2 bullet spiral trees, 2 arches, and 10 AC controlled Dumb lights. That said, I'm an EE, and run my own servers, so a large portion of this is easier for me than most.
I’d definitely wait on the controllers. Hinks are very good. I’m great building custom props but yeah I’m probably where you were at. So far HC has been great to deal with and I was pre-warned that we were getting into the busy season. I’ve spent $1900. I also have the long range receivers. Have you done any videos yet?

mr2mkii

New elf
I’d definitely wait on the controllers. Hinks are very good. I’m great building custom props but yeah I’m probably where you were at. So far HC has been great to deal with and I was pre-warned that we were getting into the busy season. I’ve spent $1900. I also have the long range receivers. Have you done any videos yet?
Yeah I haven't had any complaints with them so far. They've even done a nice job updating on back-ordered items IMHO. I haven't done any videos as yet, but plan to once I have everything finalized and have a couple sequences that I didn't have to import, but created myself. (Feel bad about posting vids when the sequences are someone elses. Also plan to do a review of the system and behind the scenes there after.