Help with this wall?

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
So I'm expanding my display this year. I really don't know what to do with my downstairs front wall.

help my wall.png

Has anyone got suggestions on what would work there? (I'm planning a garage door matrix on the right, and the talking tree (+ some more) above that. I've got a decent play for upstairs (window outlines, a spinner, MERRY CHRISTMAS on the roof space) - but I'm stuck with downstairs. It's a pretty boring wall.

What would work well in this space?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
So, a few things came to mind.

1. A flat Megatree
2. A Lot of Different Snowflakes. There are a bunch of cool things that can be done with those.
3. Move the matrix to that wall because it is a good focal point instead of putting it on the garage.
4. Projection Wall.

Dean

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
I’ve been thinking about #2. I’m not sure how to lay out a bunch of snowflakes over a big rectangle space with basically no defining features. just random? A grid?

#1 I’m not sure on — between my two existing mega palm trees (one is out of frame to the left) - I’m not sure I need another megatree (and I think it would be too short).

I could do #3. But the thought for the garage was to have it just a little further setback from the road.
I think #4 is probably out due to the streetlight & megapalms — too much light. (I could be wrong here — but I wouldn’t want to buy a pricy projector and find out it’s just washed out

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Hey there, drove by your display before Christmas, looked great, good work.
Perhaps a flat mega tree in that space, from the ground up and above the roofline, secured to the eave maybe.
I'm a big fan of icicle strings around the gutters, it's a traditional 'christmassy' look, you have plenty of gutter/eave space facing the street perhaps you could do something with rgb/addressable icicles?
Good luck with it, keep us posted.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
@Indigogyre thanks. I’m slightly conflicted about snowflakes in aus for christmas. But agree they can look good.

@DavidJ247 - (AFAIK you’re the only person on ACL who saw it. Hopefully it was late in December when I had most of the bugs fixed). Always good to see another local on here.

sabo

New elf
I would go with something like a huge spinner/wreath with smaller props surrounding it.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
I would go with something like a huge spinner/wreath with smaller props surrounding it.
It seems like this is what we’re leaning towards. I had been planning on a large spinner centered on the top story as well. Do I do them in-line with each other? Or get different ones?

sabo

New elf
See how it looks in xlights. All depends on your taste and what you think looks good.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
About the only thing I would change is to lift the flakes up off the roof a little. It's not a steep roof and not sure how it would look while standing in front watching. It really depends on the viewing angle I guess.

Dean

TerryK

Retired Elf
As already mentioned it is what looks good to you and your family.

To me the palm looks a little odd (in Post #1). I'd prefer a smaller diameter top but on the tree there is probably not much that can be done. Perhaps simply wrap the trunk or only WS2811 floods on the trees. The floods would of course highlight the trunk and the branches.

I feel the viewing angle for the gingerbread man is rather shallow and with his head between the windows to me decrements the accent of the pixels on those windows. Not sure where to move him other than if he can sing perhaps up with the tress or peeking out from what might be a hedge or square drive pylon at the drive left street end. In his place perhaps the 3 canes witch generally are fairly narrow and could be rotated for better street viewing without protruding into the driveway (much). Spaced somewhat; left edge of the 1st, centered, and right edge of the 2nd perhaps.

I like, @Indigogyre, think the viewing angle for the snowflakes is shallow. Increasing the angle perhaps and/or a couple up by the windows to complement the centered spinner.

Mini MEGA trees to accent the driveway left edge perhaps. Kept rather small, height .5 to 1 meter maybe.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Thanks all for your feedback back in 2022. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. (I ran out of time to rent a lift to install brackets to mount the upstairs pixels - but the other stuff looked good).
38442F8F-43A8-43C1-9C6B-A996B9BA01AC.jpeg