Help with update on lights

xmaskids

New elf
Ok so again another Xmas is approaching and building and updates have commenced i need help re my exterior led strip lighting setup
so old display is WLED to Node Mcu ESP8266 with 4 x DC 5V WS2812B LED Strip Light to random colors via app looked awesome

So 2021 is here is doing the Nodes still a thing is there an updated board to do better stuff what looking to make lights do random stuff without me being there
also had a lot of issues with the node with WIFI drops
Is WLED still a thing tried Xlights but couldnt get to work with strips
Also see there is ESPixelStick

Was looking at doing pixels but my head is spinning re all the info also saw QUINLED has a new board DIG UNO DIGITAL LED CONTROLLER but cant get anywhere.
See there is a Mini in Brisbane would it be worth while to attend
Thanks for your help and advice in advance
Steve

Last edited:

Cherie & Wayne

New elf
Hi, It is a bit of a head spin, We did our first (very small) pixel node display last year. We spent may hours watching this forum and discovered so many others had exactly the same questions we did. We still continue to have some head spin moments however the expertise and advice offered here has given us the confidence to expand and continue on with the hobby. We are attending the Brisbane mini this year, hope to see you there :)

BBQNinja

New elf
Hi,
Yes, you can use WLED with xLights. I did my first show last year which was running 6x ESP32 with WLED and 5V WS2812B LED Strips for the house outline .
You can control them via the App but you get way more control using xlights and a scheduler.
Didn't do much fancy to get it working. I think the trick is to make sure they are a static IP. Also you will need to set the universes on the WLEDs.
Dr Zzs has a great step by step video for WLED.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXvtxwK3jRk

I had issues with the Wi-Fi being laggy at range. You can spot it in my display video. All my ESP32s were inside except the arches where the ESP32 was actually inside the arch, so they just needed power.

I have already started ordering for this year :D, although I think I will use a Falcon this year so I don't have to use WiFi.

Domestos

Apprentice elf
Second year doing blinking lights, and I can relate to all your troubles. I also started going down the WLED route with strip lights, but after doing quite a bit of research and spending a bit of $$$, I converted to pixels. What I have learned in the short space is to settle on a platform. Decide if you are going to do 12V or 5V, and stick to it. There are plenty of opinions on which is best, but personally I chose the 12V route, as I can run longer lengths, without having to power inject.

I bought 4 WLED's last year, and enough electronics to build another 10, but as stated above, I changed my mind. I ended up importing a Falcon F16V3, with an expansion board, and the Diff receiver expansion boards. Best choice I ever made. The ease of using the Falcon, and the ability to scale my layout greatly increased my show look and feel. Also the support on the forums and Zoom room makes it one of the best options out there.

With Falcons now being sold locally it is most probably the best option to pursue. I would hold off on buying just yet, as the new F16V4 and F48V4's are to be released soon, and from the looks of it, it seems to be a pretty good upgrade from the V3's. Have a look at the Virtual Christmas Summit video's on Youtube for more info on the upgrades.

I will be upgrading my show with the new F16V4 with an expansion board, providing me with an additional 32 outputs. I am also going the HP power supply route as I can easily get 2 X 750Watt PSU's with expansion boards, for pretty much the same price as the Meanwell 350 watts.

I will also be attending the Brisbane Mini, so looking forward to meeting new likeminded people.

xmaskids

New elf
Sounds like you worked it all out and working well will look at the falcon thank you forball the input I am off to study more blinky lights