Hey everyone!

Kingr

New elf
Hi all!

Ive been growing my Christmas display for around 8 years now and always dreamt of having a house with a large RGB display but had no clue where to start. I’ve seen some decent US websites with kits to start a pixel display bit wanted to know if there are any Aussie companies that are better to go through? Planning on starting small next year so looking to buy now and start learning how to hook it all up and program.

Happy I found this site and looking forward to learning to ropes to get a display started. My current display below. IMG_0853.png

Iain

Full time elf
Hi and welcome!

That's a nice bright display. Do you want to completely replace it with pixels, or mix both together?

Now is the time to go visiting and see how different people put their displays together. Have a look at the display locations, let us know what suburb you're in, and there's sure to be someone nearby. They may be happy to show you behind the scenes. Generally it all comes down to these main parts: controller, power supply, pixels. What you do after that (props, cables, boxes, connections, etc.) is up to you!

There's a 101 manual which can help.

Have a look at the suppliers section for Aussie suppliers - There are pre-made boxes, although they're not too hard to put together yourself. 240V is the part to beware of (get an electrician).

Finally jump on xLights and design your house in 3D the way you want it to look (start small). Pick a pixel spacing of 1" - 3" (smaller for near the street, larger for back to the roofline). The idea here is that you can measure the string lengths and count the pixels that you want, and then participate in one of the bulk buys that come up early in the year.

Kingr

New elf
Hi and welcome!

That's a nice bright display. Do you want to completely replace it with pixels, or mix both together?

Now is the time to go visiting and see how different people put their displays together. Have a look at the display locations, let us know what suburb you're in, and there's sure to be someone nearby. They may be happy to show you behind the scenes. Generally it all comes down to these main parts: controller, power supply, pixels. What you do after that (props, cables, boxes, connections, etc.) is up to you!

There's a 101 manual which can help.

Have a look at the suppliers section for Aussie suppliers - There are pre-made boxes, although they're not too hard to put together yourself. 240V is the part to beware of (get an electrician).

Finally jump on xLights and design your house in 3D the way you want it to look (start small). Pick a pixel spacing of 1" - 3" (smaller for near the street, larger for back to the roofline). The idea here is that you can measure the string lengths and count the pixels that you want, and then participate in one of the bulk buys that come up early in the year.
Thanks mate. I’m in Mooroolbark, VIC. Looking at starting with a mix of pixels and my current display (starting with roof, around windows and garage) and then growing it year by year to eventually be just pixels I think.
I’ll look up the supplier page thanks for the heads up.
I see lots of US sites with 12v, is it better ro just stick to Aus suppliers instead?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Some of the US vendors are very hard marketers, so you'll see them advertised everywhere and getting talked up by them over there.
Keep in mind that once you factor in shipping and the like, the Aussie vendors are just as good. Many Aussies also by direct from China, which is where they ultimately all come from.

As Iain mentioned, the 101 Manual is a great start to get your head around the concepts. It's last revision was 2018 so some of the technology has changed, but the basics remain as-is.

If I remember my Melbourne geography, you'd be somewhere in the east. There are a few members in the south east, @djgra79 @thewanderingpine straight off the top of my head - definitely worth checking out how they have done things.

I'd also suggest getting along to a Mini when it comes about - usually mid-year. You'll meet many other blinky folk who are more than happy to share their experiences and tips & tricks to getting the display up, as well as cool ideas that they have come up with.

Iain

Full time elf
is it better ro just stick to Aus suppliers instead?
I use both Aus and AliExpress. A few of the Aussie suppliers are very helpful around crunch time, which is when deliveries from China slow down, because of the volume of postage around Christmas. You have to beware of cheap rubbish on Ali as well—some of those renderings look much nicer than the real thing! They often embellish cable sizes. And the one we’re all dealing with is build quality with all the pixel failures. Nevertheless I’ll keep getting some of those odd pieces and electronics from there.

I’m interested to see where the next pixel bulk buy goes though. Keep an eye out for that. I’ll be doing that through Light It Up.

Gilrock

Full time elf
I'd stay away from kits. And if I was starting out I'd seriously consider using the EVO pixels. I had been starting to convert everything to 5v but then saw the EVO's at the SoCal mini and took a chance and ordered enough for a new 32x100 megatree and I'm very impressed. They are like 1/3 the weight of regular pixels and low current draw. I tested a string of 100 pixels at 100% brightness and according to the Genius controller it was only drawing like 850mA. And 100 pixels pressed into Boscoyo strip felt really light so I think it will help with how much weight is being blown around in the wind. The other nice thing was you can order the 2.25" spacing which works nice for 2" spacing in a megatree. The strips coil up so much tighter as a result.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Hey @Kingr. I'm probably 20 min down the road. There's folks like @Jase or @Croydon Lights who are even closer to you. I'd strongly recommend coming out checking out someone's show and trying to get a behind the scenes tour in the next week while we are all setup.

Croydon Lights

Full time elf
Generous elf
If you want to come by and have a look at my display feel free and if I not out front just knock on the door and we can go over the display

Dauphin3

New elf
Hey mate. I'm just down the road in Lilydale. I'm also a noob (currently using an ESP8266 & WLED). I'd be keen to follow in your footsteps....let me know if you're going for a tour somewhere, I might try and tag along if that's ok? Cheers.

Kingr

New elf
@Kingr come on past. My show will be running til Christmas very happy to give you a tour :)
Hey Jase. That would be great! What’s the best way to get in touch so I can get the address to have a look. Keen to try and get my head around it and start planning for next year :)

Kingr

New elf
If you want to come by and have a look at my display feel free and if I not out front just knock on the door and we can go over the display
Would love to see yours too and pick your brain. Let me know how we can get in touch and I’ll come check it out! Thanks so much

Jase

New elf
Hey mate. I'm just down the road in Lilydale. I'm also a noob (currently using an ESP8266 & WLED). I'd be keen to follow in your footsteps....let me know if you're going for a tour somewhere, I might try and tag along if that's ok? Cheers.
Come past mine anytime. Ping me on FB if you’re coming past. 👋🏻