Hey from Newcastle

Tim and Kim

New elf
Just saying Hi!! We have recently joined the forums as we are looking to up our game this year!!

We started our lights display in 2017, was a bit of fun - made a couple of large decorations... and then last year decided to build on that, made a massive north pole plus went on a buy/swap/sell to get a bunch more lights - and ended up with a pretty decent display, tried to raise funds for starlight foundation - didnt do great with that, as we were more of a drive-by lights than a get out and look one...

So this year we want to get people out to check out our display.. we have already started work on our centrepiece - a garden train we will decorate christmasy.. plus a "uber" tree - so just a really really tall mega tree thinking 6mtrs high (we were contemplating a pixel tree - just a bit too ambitious for us this year, not to mention a bit too expensive and the power is a bit of an issue).. But we really like the pixel stuff - so are going to be making leaping arches, this is more achievable for us this year...

Our two young girls love it, they are helping us make the stuff.. and they love meeting all the visitors!!

franky_888

Full time elf
Welcome! You'll find a few ACL members in or close-by to Newcastle (myself included).

Unfortunately the Aussie dollar in this current climate doesn't help our cause, particularly with most products being pegged to the US dollar. But my philosophy has always been those who do anything are doing more than those that do nothing, so keep it up! :)

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Hi from another Novocastrian, yes there's a few of us in here, though some don't appear that often :)
What suburb are you in?

Gee Family Light Show

Emma- Light Em Up Sequences
Hi, We're also (sort of) Novocastrians, from Maitland! This will be our fourth year doing pixels, and I sequence all our songs myself, singing faces included. We also raise money for the Starlight Foundation. If anyone needs a hand with anything then just yell out :)

Tim and Kim

New elf
Hi, We're also (sort of) Novocastrians, from Maitland! This will be our fourth year doing pixels, and I sequence all our songs myself, singing faces included. We also raise money for the Starlight Foundation. If anyone needs a hand with anything then just yell out :)

I (Kim) follow your facebook page :)!! Pretty awesome set up you have there!!

Pesle

New elf
I drove past your house today. Looks great!
This is my 2nd year doing computer controlled lights and I've got a pretty tight budget and not alot of time due to Uni, so most of my lights are still shop bought ones (not many pixel lights yet), however they are now all computer controlled with custom Arduino controllers. I'm living in Edgeworth.

Tim and Kim

New elf
I drove past your house today. Looks great!
This is my 2nd year doing computer controlled lights and I've got a pretty tight budget and not alot of time due to Uni, so most of my lights are still shop bought ones (not many pixel lights yet), however they are now all computer controlled with custom Arduino controllers. I'm living in Edgeworth.

Hey, that's awesome - next time pop out and say hi ;)... We're not quite there yet, still quite a bit more to bring out - but enough time before the 1st...

nothing computerised yet (funny though as Tim is a computer engineer)... I was wanting to do the pixel leaping arches - just running out of time (also peak time for my (Kim) business), so maybe for next year, we will get into the computerised shows... Although a lot of our display is diy custom built - like the merry (or menny as our daughter says) Christmas neon sign...

the leaping arches were going to go on the front boundary, so do need to work out a solution for the front boundary now...

I thought we were on the locations - I'll have to double check.. thanks for the heads up

Tim and Kim

New elf
I thought I'd post my question in here, as there are mainly local peeps here... Actually - how did all your displays go??

We didn't have enough time to get into the controlling of the lights this year... and I would love to integrate that into our display next year... So I really ideally want to find a workshop or something I can attend to learn about the controllers, etc... (I actually need to learn this for my business as well, as I need to be able to control pixel lights with something I'm building there... Is Core electronics the only place - or anyone keen to give me some one on one help ;)